Search found 35 matches

by Ferdi
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:57 pm
Forum: Honeybee Genetics
Topic: Developing Local Climate Adaptation
Replies: 48
Views: 1355

Re: Developing Local Climate Adaptation

Sometimes I believe the really tf interested and tf practicing beekeepers give up on us because they have no solution without using ferals. Law supports this. When you all will have tf bees we still are middle age. Sibylle, as you might know I'm in the same situation with you, no ferals at all. I a...
by Ferdi
Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:28 am
Forum: Honeybee Genetics
Topic: Mite Biting Potential
Replies: 17
Views: 453

Re: Mite Biting Potential

Nordak, thanks for sharing these informative pictures with us. I will be following further developments :)
by Ferdi
Mon May 29, 2017 10:00 am
Forum: Outside the US
Topic: Turkey
Replies: 28
Views: 1376

Re: Turkey

Could it be supercedure? In that case I've seen a queen and her daughter in the same hive. It could be, but probability is low because the queen is very young and she is still performing very well (currently best queen in town :D ). Additionally, all queen cells were at the bottom of frames. But th...
by Ferdi
Sun May 28, 2017 8:30 pm
Forum: Outside the US
Topic: Turkey
Replies: 28
Views: 1376

Re: Turkey

Last week my strongest hive gave me some unexpected surprises. Putting the super aside, I started to inspect that hive starting from the brood nest and soon saw some capped queen cells. I thought the hive must have already swarmed because there were simply no eggs, so I also decided to make a split ...
by Ferdi
Wed May 24, 2017 6:21 am
Forum: Expansion Model Beekeeping
Topic: Is your expansion successful?
Replies: 305
Views: 10748

Re: Is your expansion successful?

...The rest of the e cells were gone. Like they had never existed gone. Like if I hadn't seen them a week earlier I would have never suspected there had been any there... Hi Moe, this is so normal. Shortly after emergence, the first thing the virgin queen would do is to destroy other cells. I see i...
by Ferdi
Thu May 18, 2017 1:02 pm
Forum: Outside the US
Topic: Turkey
Replies: 28
Views: 1376

Re: Turkey

Thank you all for your replies. I will keep you updated for sure :) I would like to report one more thing; I have a nuc which overwintered with tree frames (it surprised me a little bit because last winter was very harsh) but did not develop well during the spring so when I made a split out of it co...
by Ferdi
Wed May 17, 2017 10:05 am
Forum: Chickens
Topic: keeping chickens
Replies: 30
Views: 854

Re: keeping chickens

Very good idea, which I would love to do one day (I would definitely eat mine :D ). By the way; if you let your chickens enter your apiary they will eat the dead bees, so there will be kind of natural recycling.
by Ferdi
Tue May 16, 2017 10:14 am
Forum: Outside the US
Topic: Turkey
Replies: 28
Views: 1376

Re: Turkey

I think it is time for an update because I could not post anything since February, when I stated my hive count as 4. But one of nucs lost its queen at the beginning of March so I went into spring with 3. When I gave a frame of brood to this queenless nuc I was worried because March is seen to early ...
by Ferdi
Tue May 16, 2017 9:26 am
Forum: Basic Beekeeping
Topic: Adding new boxes
Replies: 5
Views: 894

Re: Adding new boxes

Hey Ferdi. Glad you are back. Was wondering if something happened to you. Thanks moebees unfortunately I had to travel a lot in the last 2 months because of work. I could hardly find time to manage my bees. But now this busy period is over, so I will try to spend more time here with you fellow beek...
by Ferdi
Mon May 15, 2017 6:49 pm
Forum: Basic Beekeeping
Topic: Adding new boxes
Replies: 5
Views: 894

Re: Adding new boxes

GregV wrote:
Or you may just move 3-4 occupied combs upstairs to draw the bees up.
Replace the moved combs with the empties downstairs.


That is what I generally do and it works.
by Ferdi
Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:20 pm
Forum: Expansion Model Beekeeping
Topic: Is your expansion successful?
Replies: 305
Views: 10748

Re: Is your expansion successful?

@Sibylle, My setup was similar to yours and I can still keep my stronger hives in that way. @Michael, Top ventilation definitely prevents moisture, but in my area it might be a set-back for nucs or relatively weak colonies. My new setup almost the same in videos shared by @GregV. I just used greenho...
by Ferdi
Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:54 pm
Forum: Expansion Model Beekeeping
Topic: Is your expansion successful?
Replies: 305
Views: 10748

Re: Is your expansion successful?

When discussing insulation and moisture, I think we should also talk about how ideal ventilation should be in hive during winter and summer. So far I have had holes on my upper lid to provide extra ventilation during winter and I have never had a moisture problem. But I'm switching to only bottom ve...
by Ferdi
Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:43 pm
Forum: Basic Beekeeping
Topic: From Large to small cel
Replies: 24
Views: 1540

Re: From Large to small cel

Hi Marcel, Welcome! More or less I'm in the same situation as you. My plan is to first use smal-cell foundations I have and then let my bees build their own comb. If you choose to go foundationless you can use nucs as comb drawers to some degree because they generally tend to build nice combs with m...
by Ferdi
Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:28 pm
Forum: Outside the US
Topic: Turkey
Replies: 28
Views: 1376

Re: Turkey

It sounds like winter has been kind to you. What are you plans for this season? we can say so but it is not over yet, so fingers crossed :) This year I have two main goals : 1- Going from 4 to 10 hives while keeping 2 in honey production. 2- Being on 100% natural or small cell. I would expect chall...
by Ferdi
Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:24 pm
Forum: Outside the US
Topic: Turkey
Replies: 28
Views: 1376

Re: Turkey

Yesterday the weather was warmer than normal - because of wind blowing from south - so I took some time off from my work and went to check my hives. I found out one of my nucs was dead, as usual there were a handful of bees in the hive, which were stacked together between two frames. The remaining 4...
by Ferdi
Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:09 pm
Forum: Expansion Model Beekeeping
Topic: Is your expansion successful?
Replies: 305
Views: 10748

Re: Is your expansion successful?

I entered winter with 6 hives, I lost one last week but that loss was anticipated so there was no surprise there, typical varroa damage. The rest seems ok right now. My plan in 2017 is to increase my hive numbers to around 10. I might achieve this goal by splitting but I might also do grafting becau...
by Ferdi
Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:40 pm
Forum: Introductions
Topic: New member from Slovenia
Replies: 5
Views: 279

Re: New member from Slovenia

Hi Koscak, welcome to the forum. As Nordak stated, many of us, including me, are in the same situation like you. We are trying to keep our bees TF in highly treated environments, which is hard and challenging but also fun and informative.

Good luck, and keep us posted about your journey.
by Ferdi
Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:43 pm
Forum: Basic Beekeeping
Topic: Smoker Fuel
Replies: 12
Views: 1237

Re: Smoker Fuel

I use pine needles too. They are abundant and convenient.
by Ferdi
Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:44 pm
Forum: Advanced Beekeeping
Topic: Can Science Save our Bees - The Role of Apimondia
Replies: 25
Views: 1004

Re: Can Science Save our Bees - The Role of Apimondia

@moebees, thanks for the heads-up, so I will probably attend the Apimondia congress this year :) @Sibylle, you are right when big companies fund scientists for their resources it is very unlikely that their results will conflict with those companies' activities. We need independent and objective sci...
by Ferdi
Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:46 pm
Forum: Identifying Pests & Diseases
Topic: How Many of Your Losses are Mite Related?
Replies: 40
Views: 910

Re: How Many of Your Losses are Mite Related?

Sibylle, I totally understood your point, no problem there :)
by Ferdi
Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:36 pm
Forum: Identifying Pests & Diseases
Topic: How Many of Your Losses are Mite Related?
Replies: 40
Views: 910

Re: How Many of Your Losses are Mite Related?

When I visited bee class it was for one whole beekeeping season. We never talked about disease. Beekeeping was propagated as being no problem at all. If you attend a bee class in Turkey, everyone will tell you that "you have to treat or you will lose your hives". Since this is the very fi...
by Ferdi
Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:31 pm
Forum: Queen Rearing
Topic: How Important is Queen Longevity?
Replies: 9
Views: 447

Re: How Important is Queen Longevity?

I believe longevity is a sign of good genetics and quality. I do not have any scientific evidence to prove it, instead I'm just talking based on my experience. In May 2012 I bought my first hive from a bee supplier in my area. I was inexperienced and did not know almost anything about beekeeping. Bu...
by Ferdi
Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:29 pm
Forum: Outside the US
Topic: Turkey
Replies: 28
Views: 1376

Re: Turkey

Thanks to all of you for sharing your precious experiences on foundationless. As you said, of course, bees know better than me when it comes to brood production and I tend to let them do their job. However; this year I have limited resources in terms of hive and drawn comb numbers, so that is why I ...
by Ferdi
Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:25 pm
Forum: Outside the US
Topic: Turkey
Replies: 28
Views: 1376

Re: Turkey

If you do this while temperature is under 12°C do it with empty frames only, so they can cluster if they want to.. Don´t do this if they can be chilled. Yeah, as also @Iharder stated timing is important chilled brood can lead to many bad things. I will certanly do it with foundationless frame becau...
by Ferdi
Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:13 pm
Forum: Outside the US
Topic: Turkey
Replies: 28
Views: 1376

Re: Turkey

Sibylle, thanks for your suggestions. It seems my bees are ready for small cell :) I'm looking forward to getting those small cell foundations but I have not really decided how to use them. Probably I will use them in hives from which I barrow frames for my splits. I always put some foundationless f...
by Ferdi
Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:20 am
Forum: Outside the US
Topic: Turkey
Replies: 28
Views: 1376

Re: Turkey

SiWolKe wrote:The bumblebee queens here are still asleep :)

Ferdi, what is your cell size?


I was really surprised by bumblebee activity. There were a lot of them.
Here in Turkey, the cell size of foundation is 5.1mm so mines. But there are one or two foundationless frames drawn by bees in every hive.
by Ferdi
Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:06 pm
Forum: Outside the US
Topic: Turkey
Replies: 28
Views: 1376

Turkey

Today I went to check my hives and I was pleased to see all my 6 hives were still alive. The temperature was around 7 °C, which is normal at this time of year. Since I bought 2 of them in the last spring and the other 4 are splits of from those 2, I have no clue about their genetics and wintering ab...
by Ferdi
Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:49 pm
Forum: Introductions
Topic: New Member From Turkey
Replies: 18
Views: 692

Re: New Member From Turkey

SiWolKe wrote:How about opening a new topic here, Ferdi?
viewforum.php?f=46


sure, I should have done it before :(

@lharder,
Hi, I will talk about beeping generally in Turkey when I create a topic at "Regional forums" soon. Also I plan to share bloom times as it happens.
by Ferdi
Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:00 am
Forum: Introductions
Topic: New Member From Turkey
Replies: 18
Views: 692

Re: New Member From Turkey

Ferdi wrote: One example this one http://www.hizanbali.com/BALHZAN.png It looks like it is just the spring tension of the wood strips that hold them in the frame. Is that right? Pretty clever. you are spot on :) They just place the strips inside the frames and bees take care of the rest. And yes, A...
by Ferdi
Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:50 pm
Forum: Introductions
Topic: New Member From Turkey
Replies: 18
Views: 692

Re: New Member From Turkey


Looks delicious ha? :D
At the beginning probably it was something like that http://www.macahel.org.tr/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/karakovan1-972-x-648.png
by Ferdi
Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:15 pm
Forum: Advanced Beekeeping
Topic: Queen rearing
Replies: 25
Views: 1314

Re: Queen rearing

Ya thanks Michael. I think unless I see information to the contrary my conclusion is notching is probably a waste of time and some brood. I may try in once or twice as an experiment but probably will forget it. I tried OTS queen rearing once but it did not work for me. Bees chose another larvae fro...
by Ferdi
Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:04 pm
Forum: Introductions
Topic: New Member From Turkey
Replies: 18
Views: 692

Re: New Member From Turkey

SiWolKe wrote:
I do not know where you are located in Germany but I will be in Stuttgart next week, so do you know any place where I can find small cell foundation?


I will press them for you if you bring wax. 2 hours driving. Give your e-mail per pm.


Thanks a lot I appreciate your offer. Check your inbox :)
by Ferdi
Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:20 pm
Forum: Introductions
Topic: New Member From Turkey
Replies: 18
Views: 692

Re: New Member From Turkey

The district around Istiklal Caddesi and Taksim square was the busiest place in Turkey with many shops, restaurants, pubs, night clubs etc. which appeal to everyone's taste. But unfortunately this picture has been changing because of recent terror attacks and political issues. Anyways, let's get bac...
by Ferdi
Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:58 am
Forum: Introductions
Topic: New Member From Turkey
Replies: 18
Views: 692

Re: New Member From Turkey

Hi Nordak, Thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking forward to learning from others and helping as much as I can. Hi Moebees, Thanks, I would say 99% of beekeepers here use langstroth hives. There are some traditional types like this one http://www.konyaaribalevi.com/uploads/products/ozel-karakovan...
by Ferdi
Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:09 pm
Forum: Introductions
Topic: New Member From Turkey
Replies: 18
Views: 692

New Member From Turkey

Hi All, I have been following this forum since it was established but unfortunately I did not have chance to introduce myself and participate discussions here. But I tend to change it starting with this post. I started beekeeping in the spring of 2012 with just one hive. As learned more about beekee...

Go to advanced search