Sugar Roll Numbers

We don't treat for pests or diseases, but we do need to identify them. We can then breed for resistance, or destroy as necessary.
Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Sugar Roll Numbers

Postby Nordak » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:19 am

As I have never actually done any form of measurement for mite loads in my hives, I thought I'd get some estimates based on sugar roll testing of standard half cup measurements/approximately 300 bees. The testing was done on 3rd generation queens, 3 full size colonies with open and closed brood to essentially see how similar/dissimilar seemingly separate lines of feral colonies based on observation of behavior have evolved from their original queen lines, with the exception of a BWeaver 3rd generation queen. Overall, I am pleased with the results that are as follows:

(Hive)..........................(Mites:sample size)......................(Phoretic%)

BW1C.................................19:300....................................6.3

FH2C...................................2:300....................................0.67

FH3C...................................4:300....................................1.3

To offset humidity related issues, I did all testing indoors in an air conditioned environment. When needed, additional sugar was added and sample shaken thoroughly again after application. Any residual sugar from individual samples after releasing the bees was also emptied and any mites discovered were added to the total count.

Thanks.

Return to “Identifying Pests & Diseases”