What's the Buzz in the Beeyard?

Basic beekeeping, this is beekeeping after the first winter until about the third or fourth year. You are a beekeeper, but you still have a lot to learn. Talk about normal everyday beekeeping here.
SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Re: What's the Buzz in the Beeyard?

Postby SiWolKe » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:12 am

lharder wrote:
Anyway, I arrived and the entire front of the hive was covered with bees. Lots of honey not all capped in the top 3 boxes. I added another 2 boxes. Hopefully they get back to work.

I getting kind of desperate having enough space left for the queen to lay because of all the honey. never saw a storing like that.
The bees only want to use the brood boxes for nectar, the mediums on top must be drawn first, so far not all want to do this.

I contacted MB to get some advise.

I will check the next days and take out all surplus, leaving only some nectar and pollen combs, since he told me how many frames get layed in his hives.
The ones I take out I will store and maybe give back if there is no flow in fall.

I don´t want the colonies to dwindle before breeding winter bees.
Civility is strength. http://www.VivaBiene.de

GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby GregV » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:17 pm

SiWolKe wrote:.....I will check the next days and take out all surplus, leaving only some nectar and pollen combs, since he told me how many frames get layed in his hives.
The ones I take out I will store and maybe give back if there is no flow in fall.

Good idea.
A similar plan here.
I want my stronger three hives to collect as much honey as they can.
I also have my little expansion nucs here (four now!).
Will be robbing my stronger hives of honey to feed the nucs.

PS: had to split yet again once again - a queen-less nuc raising few QCs for me was getting into a swarmy mood; so now I got 4 nucs spawn off a single overwintered hive.. :D crazy. Though all of these will have to be fed eventually (honey is best). Not sure yet I want to combine these back. Each nuc will have a different line in it - I would rather test them through the winter. Maybe I will use one of these to requeen my commercial Italian swarm. Will see.

lharder
Hobbyist

Postby lharder » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:08 pm

SiWolKe wrote:
lharder wrote:
Anyway, I arrived and the entire front of the hive was covered with bees. Lots of honey not all capped in the top 3 boxes. I added another 2 boxes. Hopefully they get back to work.

I getting kind of desperate having enough space left for the queen to lay because of all the honey. never saw a storing like that.
The bees only want to use the brood boxes for nectar, the mediums on top must be drawn first, so far not all want to do this.

I contacted MB to get some advise.

I will check the next days and take out all surplus, leaving only some nectar and pollen combs, since he told me how many frames get layed in his hives.

The brood nest was actually pretty good re nectar. I pulled a few frames to make room for more comb building. Its warm here now with 30 plus C temps. I actually had a bit of extracted comb at home that I could have used, but didn't have the brains to have it with me. But between extracting honey and giving back empty comb, pulling honey out of the brood nest, and giving space for them to build, not much to be done. At any rate, I've discovered that I don't have to have dedicated swarm hives to seed the feral bee population. Some will get away from you all on their own.

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:19 am

Some will get away from you all on their own

I've certainly done my part in helping build the feral population this year.

MarkDirksen
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby MarkDirksen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:13 pm

Just made a split of one of my colonies. I wasn't sure whether the colony would have enough stores, since they didn't have much last time (3 weeks before). Luckily they made up for it these past few weeks, must have ben a lot of nectar flow.

I chose to wait until now as I did not want to disturb them while a good flow was on. As I understand it, we are now past the peak in the Netherlands. In fact, everything was a little early this season.

I had plans of making a split of my second hive as well, but I realised I didn't have all the materials I needed. Beginner's mistake due to being badly organised ;) .

GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby GregV » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:31 pm

MarkDirksen wrote:...I had plans of making a split of my second hive as well, but I realised I didn't have all the materials I needed. Beginner's mistake due to being badly organised ;) .

Well, then get those materials and still do the split.
Missed opportunity now will amount to another wasted year - not the best way.

MarkDirksen
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby MarkDirksen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:48 pm

@Greg Definitely, I'll probably do so in a week or two.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Checking the elgon/ carni bee yard everything looked fine the last days, queens present, much honey, no disease, no mites on boards and bees.

Today I found the swarm from my queenless split without queen, four weeks ago they had 6 combs of open brood. The last hive to check it was.

Pushed a comb in with eggs. I hope the others will go on breeding some drones, not many around any more.

Perhaps my neighbor still has them too, i would like to have the new queen mating with primorsky drones.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:21 am

I´m doing my last check before closing up.

I only have to feed the two weakest.
The reducing to one brood box dadant size worked wonderfully, the bees are already in fall modus and reduced brood nests.
Around they have stored and capped honey in domes and away from entrance. Seems to me my problems to have them isolated from food in winter should be solved.

Two of the hives are heavily mite infested. I moved the healthy to a new location and treated the susceptible. I treated them with a new Ultrasonic Unit. I´m not sure this worked, so if they crash this fall I don´t want the others to have the phoretic mites drifting into their hives.

This will probably be my last posting here. Doing IPM I feel it´s not my platform having such strict rules.
But I`m not acceptingt the dyings and crashes coming with bond methods. I will not treat with chemicals, never, but do some technical managements which could be regarded as such.
I´m not able to fill colony voids with feral swarms and this is a "swarm" forum.

So goodbye and good luck to everyone.
I will go on recording my progress in Beesource Forum for those who are interested.

Thanks to those who helped me with their good advise and are my friends. Thanks, Michael.
:)

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:58 pm

You are welcome. Good luck.
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

lharder
Hobbyist

Postby lharder » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:33 pm

I've had my first bear incidents this year.

One was in an urban setting where I had placed 6 nucs. A bear got into 2 of them. I moved them the next day, lost one queen.

The second was at a country location. A large bear got in and ate 2 (maybe 3) hives. I haven't gotten into the 3rd one yet to see if I lost the queen or not. I lost the ground connection on the electric fence (maybe the bear by shuffling around dislodged it.) During the day the bear was sitting on his haunches just outside the fence looking in at the hives before he was chased off. He did very little damage to the equipment itself or the other hives, contenting himself to consuming the contents of each comb in the hive (18 combs/hive). Even the frames (foundationless) were mostly undamaged.

I put the fence back together, hardened the system, in the process zapped myself good. The game warden will come down and live trap/remove the bear when he returns. The owners are around and keep watch on them.

Its been very dry and the bears are probably in poor condition before hibernation.

Return to “Basic Beekeeping”