What's the Buzz in the Beeyard?

Basic beekeeping, this is beekeeping after the first winter until about the third or fourth year. You are a beekeeper, but you still have a lot to learn. Talk about normal everyday beekeeping here.
GregV
Hobbyist

Re: What's the Buzz in the Beeyard?

Postby GregV » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:00 pm

moebees wrote:
I observed a video where tiny mating nucs in polystyrene hives wintered just fine outside (Ukraine; similar USDA zone).
Out of 4-5 all made it fine.

That is encouraging.

To clarify: the tiny nucs were configured the warm way on those teeny-tiny square frames;
there was a ventilation hole in a floor (otherwise, one round ~1/2 inch entrance);
they were under plastic film that created a hermetically sealed ceiling.
Polystyrene compatible to 2 inch/R10 US version.
They just set there on a bench, in a protected, sunny spot all winter long.

I think the fellow mated the queens late in season and took them into the winter as backups (and as an experiment; he sells queens for living and so early season queen availability from a local source is a big deal).

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:53 pm

Not much Buzz here. The weather is cold and rainy and all the hives are buttoned up for winter.

A local Beekeeper that I purchased two packages from this year was on a local radio program last weekend. He made the comment that annual losses in the northern Illinois area now run 80%! I texted him yesterday and asked where that came from and he said the American Bee Journal but couldn't remember the exact number. With minimum searching I was not able to find it but it may not be far off the mark because I did find another recent newspaper article for one of the counties that I have two yards in that reports 70% losses last year. And the Bee Informed Partnership says that losses for the entire state last year were near 60%. Wish me luck because it looks like I may need it!
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

GregV
Hobbyist

Postby GregV » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:25 pm

moebees wrote:Not much Buzz here. The weather is cold and rainy and all the hives are buttoned up for winter.

A local Beekeeper that I purchased two packages from this year was on a local radio program last weekend. He made the comment that annual losses in the northern Illinois area now run 80%! I texted him yesterday and asked where that came from and he said the American Bee Journal but couldn't remember the exact number. With minimum searching I was not able to find it but it may not be far off the mark because I did find another recent newspaper article for one of the counties that I have two yards in that reports 70% losses last year. And the Bee Informed Partnership says that losses for the entire state last year were near 60%. Wish me luck because it looks like I may need it!

I am not worried too much about those "official" numbers.
If feel bullish about my bees since they are mostly sitting in appropriate equipment.
Should be better than those 70-80% announced.

I truly believe this country needs beekeeping Renaissance where all the commercial equipment should be just dumped and we just all should restart with the log hives and relearn the beekeeping proper. The answers will come along the way and the bees will just rebound along the way.

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:30 pm

I am not worried too much about those "official" numbers.
If feel bullish about my bees since they are mostly sitting in appropriate equipment.
Should be better than those 70-80% announced.

I truly believe this country needs beekeeping Renaissance where all the commercial equipment should be just dumped and we just all should restart with the log hives and relearn the beekeeping proper. The answers will come along the way and the bees will just rebound along the way.

I wish you luck with your bees and hope they survive the winter. But I think your confidence in the equipment is misguided. There is allot more going on than just weak equipment.
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

Return to “Basic Beekeeping”