Queen cups

Basic beekeeping, this is beekeeping after the first winter until about the third or fourth year. You are a beekeeper, but you still have a lot to learn. Talk about normal everyday beekeeping here.
Grappling Coach
Freshman Beekeeper

Queen cups

Postby Grappling Coach » Mon May 29, 2017 5:30 am

I opened up one of my hives to add a second brood box today. When I moved a couple of frames up, I saw two queen cups on one frame. This hive is from a Russian nuc I bought from a local beekeeper this spring. The cups were not very big yet, but bees were sticking their heads into them. I did not look hard for the queen, but there were several frames of larvae of different ages. The bees have filled 8 frames in one box, which is why I was adding a second one. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: Queen cups

Postby Nordak » Mon May 29, 2017 6:55 am

That's a common scenario. Doesn't necessarily mean anything as far as them making swarm preparations. I make it a habit when I see them to check for eggs. Usually they are empty. Adding the second brood box will certainly help if overcrowding was the reason for drawing out the cups.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Re: Queen cups

Postby SiWolKe » Mon May 29, 2017 7:33 am

Nordak wrote:That's a common scenario. Doesn't necessarily mean anything as far as them making swarm preparations. I make it a habit when I see them to check for eggs. Usually they are empty. Adding the second brood box will certainly help if overcrowding was the reason for drawing out the cups.

Same. They are always present. Check for eggs.
Give the queen place to lay.
Civility is strength. http://www.VivaBiene.de

Return to “Basic Beekeeping”