Package source

Basic beekeeping, this is beekeeping after the first winter until about the third or fourth year. You are a beekeeper, but you still have a lot to learn. Talk about normal everyday beekeeping here.
moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Package source

Postby moebees » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:21 pm

I can find no good area of this forum to post this and perhaps it will get removed but I purchased 4 packages of Carniolans from Mountain Sweet Honey in Georgia and am thoroughly delighted with them. THESE ARE NOT TREATMENT FREE AND I MAKE NO SUCH CLAIM. But sometimes people who want to keep bees treatment free are unable to catch feral swarms or find a source of treatment free bees and they still want to get started so they buy packages. With the quality of packages being for the most part pretty dismal now days I wanted to recommend Mountain Sweet Honey as a reliable source. They are a husband and wife operation. All four hives are booming and the queens laying like demons. I think I may get surplus honey from them this year. I can hardly keep up adding boxes and frames. In fact one hive was preparing to swarm and probably has because I didn't get to them soon enough. The packages arrived in great shape with few dead bees. The queens are outstanding. I will let you know how they do for surviving.
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

Dustymunky
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: Package source

Postby Dustymunky » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:22 am

Great news Moe! Did you use foundation? If not, have u measured the cells? Just curious. Your bees came from Georgia, where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:31 am

Hi Dusty

They are located in Taccoa Georgia just on the edge of the Chattahoochee National Forest. They have a website and several videos on YouTube. I should have mentioned that they only ship to 29 states so that they can be confident bees will arrive in good shape. Missouri, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma are as far west as they ship. I'm in Illinois. I misread your question.

I put them pf100 plastic foundation 4.9 mm cells. I am now adding in foundationless frames as I add boxes. I have not measured any of the natural comb cells but assume they are drawing small cells because the bees are visibly smaller than the package bees that arrived. They drew the pf100 fairly well. There was a frame or two in each hive that they did a little freestyle building but not a huge problem.

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:23 pm

Just wanted to give an update. Apparently Mountain Sweet Honey is no longer selling Carniolans. They will only have Italians next year.

GregV
Hobbyist

Postby GregV » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:21 pm

Our own Nordak on this exact forum sells packages (obviously, next year now).
And his bees are as TF as you can get.
So...

Return to “Basic Beekeeping”