Possible supersedure

Basic beekeeping, this is beekeeping after the first winter until about the third or fourth year. You are a beekeeper, but you still have a lot to learn. Talk about normal everyday beekeeping here.
Grappling Coach
Freshman Beekeeper

Possible supersedure

Postby Grappling Coach » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:51 pm

I have six hives. All of them first year hives. Two of them are doing really well. Three others are doing OK. But one of them has really dwindled down. When I looked inside several days ago, there were not a lot of bees and I could not find the queen. there was also only a very little amount of middle-aged open brood and a little capped brood I gave them a frame of Capped brood to boost their numbers and waited. Yesterday, when I got into the hive, I found the queen and a lot of very young brood. I did not see any tore down queen cells, but I am wondering if they superseded the queen, And the new one just started laying. The bees were not crowded so I would not expect that they swarmed. Hopefully their numbers rebound. I am leaving the honey in the strong hives to save for food for them and the hives that are just building up.

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: Possible supersedure

Postby moebees » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:14 am

They may have but I would think you would have seen q cells at some point.
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

Return to “Basic Beekeeping”