Cool pic of cooling/drying

Basic beekeeping, this is beekeeping after the first winter until about the third or fourth year. You are a beekeeper, but you still have a lot to learn. Talk about normal everyday beekeeping here.
swflcpl
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby swflcpl » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:49 am

I'm guessing they made these two holes into the entrance for either cooling or drying out some honey. They have both sides blocked off and a center column as well. The pic isn't the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swflcpl
Freshman Beekeeper

Re: Cool pic of cooling/drying

Postby swflcpl » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:35 am

And today...after a lot of rain one little hole in the upper right corner

swflcpl
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby swflcpl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Pretty hot today. Can't even see where they're going in. Plus are there any bees in the boxes?? :)

swflcpl
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby swflcpl » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:48 am

And worse later :)

GregV
Hobbyist

Postby GregV » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:53 am

Why not add an extra box? Make some shade?
Additional entrance would not hurt..
This is looking beyond normal. What is the temp, anyway?

swflcpl
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby swflcpl » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:03 am

It was 89 today. I can't believe those 3 boxes are near full. When I added 2 there was 8 of 9 frames with some drawn comb in 1. The third was added shortly after the 2nd as I had moved the swarm not too far from the trap spot and lots of foragers where still going back to the original, so I put a box at the trap location again to try to collect them and get them back to the mother hive. Both additional were Nadared. Maybe they're refusing to build downward in these? I may have time to open this weekend but rain is forecast I think.

GregV
Hobbyist

Postby GregV » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:17 pm

swflcpl wrote:It was 89 today. I can't believe those 3 boxes are near full. When I added 2 there was 8 of 9 frames with some drawn comb in 1. The third was added shortly after the 2nd as I had moved the swarm not too far from the trap spot and lots of foragers where still going back to the original, so I put a box at the trap location again to try to collect them and get them back to the mother hive. Both additional were Nadared. Maybe they're refusing to build downward in these? I may have time to open this weekend but rain is forecast I think.

89F is nothing. Optimal temp in broodnest is 90-95F as-is.
This should not be happening.
So, you, obviously, have issues.
For sure, the hive should be expanded OR a split to be made before they swarm away or even abscond all together.
I would do something rather soon.

About building downward - you have MB-style entrance.
MB himself has indicated his bees tend to hang in the upper boxes.
Well, this is pretty logical thing that they do like to hang closer to the entrance and do not like to build away from the entrance.
With the MB-style entrance this is what you get - they are hanging in the upper boxes and are reluctant to go down.

Dustymunky
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Dustymunky » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Yeah i agree with greg. More ventilation and or more room are needed. If the hive is sitting in full sun all day long the temperatures really build up in hive. I have a couple hives in all day long full sun. They beard alot more than hives 10ft away that get some shade during day.

swflcpl
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby swflcpl » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:46 pm

I need to get my AŽ hives built so I can get away from all this lifting and moving boxes to get downstairs. I'll prop the bottom to get some additional flow

GregV
Hobbyist

Postby GregV » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:14 pm

swflcpl wrote:I need to get my AŽ hives built so I can get away from all this lifting and moving boxes to get downstairs. I'll prop the bottom to get some additional flow

I hear you - need to build more hives. :D Same here.

PS: if it is not possible to create some shade (or move the hive to shade), at least do consider some insulation on the top.
These hives with no insulation on top do create unnecessary stress on bees (both summer and winter).
Even a slab of polystyrene on the cover right now should cut on the sun's infrared radiation intake.
OR, if have extra box of the same size, put it on the over, stuff old blanket inside and throw a piece of something on the top (make an attic, in short, like any normal human houses have). You don't need that broiler baking them the top.
Just insulate the top somehow if nothing else is possible.

Return to “Basic Beekeeping”