Moving Bees w/a twist

Basic beekeeping, this is beekeeping after the first winter until about the third or fourth year. You are a beekeeper, but you still have a lot to learn. Talk about normal everyday beekeeping here.
NGACHET
Freshman Beekeeper

Moving Bees w/a twist

Postby NGACHET » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:26 pm

I have 2 lang hives that are currently just two deep brood boxes each and I want to move them to one side of the yard about 25 to 50 yards away. But, I also wnat to install them into two new long lang boxes I had built. I can only think of one way to go about this double procedure and that is to move the now empty and new long langs right up close to the two hives and transfer the frames of bees into them and leave them alone a week maybe and then after they stop flying one evening close up the entrances and move the boxes. What other ways are they to go about it?

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: Moving Bees w/a twist

Postby moebees » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:28 pm

If you move them that short a distance in one step you will still have foragers returning to the old spot the next day. So the decision on whether to transfer to the new hive or move the old hive and then transfer should be based on which are the easiest to move with bees in them. One way to avoid that would be to keep them locked up for three days after the move.

There are two ways I know of to move them without having foragers return to the original spot. One is to move them more than two miles away and let them adjust to that spot. Then move them back to your location. The second way to do it is to move them a foot or two a day until you get them to the new spot.

I think if I was doing what you describe I would set the long langs up where I want them. Cary the other boxes over one at a time and transfer the frames. Then set the boxes back at the old location with a few frames in them to catch the returning foragers. Cary them over and dump them in the new hive for a couple of days. Hopefully by moving them into a different hive with a different entrance some of them will reorient anyway.
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:52 pm

Bees will have enough trouble with one change, so I would do it in two steps. I would also do both on a day where that night it's not supposed to get below 50 F...
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

NGACHET
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby NGACHET » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:47 pm

talking about it made me realize that I definitely don't want to move the bigger, heavier horizontals with the bees in it. I will move the horizontals to their place and set up some blocks beside them and move the brood boxes to blocks. not sure if I will confine them for 3 days or 1 day with branch in front. got my fingesr crossed, these are the only two I have left of 5.

NGACHET
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby NGACHET » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:11 pm

Michael Bush wrote:Bees will have enough trouble with one change, so I would do it in two steps. I would also do both on a day where that night it's not supposed to get below 50 F...

I should have said this the other day. It's the pitfalls in communication via the internet vs in person. I am over half way through the 2nd reading of your 3 volume book "The Practical Beekeeper" and even though I don't have my confidence up to a point that I am happy with, I am still anxious to get started putting your wisdom to work. So, Thank You!

Return to “Basic Beekeeping”