Flat Bottom Board used with Top Entrance

Basic beekeeping, this is beekeeping after the first winter until about the third or fourth year. You are a beekeeper, but you still have a lot to learn. Talk about normal everyday beekeeping here.
Rhbush318
Freshman Beekeeper

Flat Bottom Board used with Top Entrance

Postby Rhbush318 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:06 am

Is it there an issue simply placing the lower hive body on a flat board or plywood while using a top entrance or hole drilled in a hive body?

I am looking to implement ideas learned in topics "Bottom Boards - Screened or Solid" and "Condensation and Humidity Manifesto" on this year's splits. My hives currently have screened bottom boards (using the lower entrance) because that is what came with the kits.

Rhbush318
Freshman Beekeeper

Re: Flat Bottom Board used with Top Entrance

Postby Rhbush318 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:30 am

I did a some searching in the subject and it looks like there will not be bee space under the frames. Issues smashing bees and possibly propolizing frames to the bottom board.

Is there a better bottom board design for top entrances or is it best to just use a standard bottom board with the entrance blocked?

Chuck Jachens
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Chuck Jachens » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:03 am

I go back to bee hives in trees and even walls. There is space below the comb for trash and other debris to fall. Of course there are earwigs and other micro-organisms that live off that stuff and break it down. I see how much build up happens on bottom boards and would worry it would build up and interfere with the bottom of the frames. I would put in a 2 inch ring so there was space between the bottom board and the bottom of the frames.

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:38 pm

The typical box has 1/8" at the bottom. The bees will propolize all the bottom bars to the bottom board and they will pull off when you try to pull out the frames. The other risk is squishing bees under the bottom bar when you put a frame in. I have done it. I don't recommend it.
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Return to “Basic Beekeeping”