What's the Buzz in the Beeyard?

Basic beekeeping, this is beekeeping after the first winter until about the third or fourth year. You are a beekeeper, but you still have a lot to learn. Talk about normal everyday beekeeping here.
GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: What's the Buzz in the Bteeyard?

Postby GregV » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:18 pm

lharder wrote:
Nordak wrote:
SiWolKe wrote:Anyone here who maintains a thriving beeyard without filling the gaps with swarms?

*raises hand*

I had a couple swarm traps up last year with no success. I just dismantled them because I needed the bottom board and top cover. I guess I should put a few up anyway.

I really like what Jason Bruns said about it.
Goes like:
"If you have any junky equipment laying around, don't keep it in garage! Put it in your backyard instead, and see what happens."

GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: What's the Buzz in the Beeyard?

Postby GregV » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:24 pm

lharder wrote:Its funny how too much regulation has painted biology into a corner. If one is too efficient about removing feral bees and treating, then nature has no way of finding a way through. I'm sure bad technique, inefficient treatment, lack of oversight has contributed to pockets of better bees in North America.

Actually, agree.
In fact, I like the perceived lack of efficiency and lack of coordination in NA in many ways.
It is strange, but this is what preserves the nature in NA to a significant degree.
Coming up with misinformed (or outright stupid) regulation and then very efficiently implementing it - a very dangerous thing, it turns out.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:57 pm

I´m sorry to have written such depressing posts.

Surely you all are positive examples to me or I would not be here, but sometimes I feel cornered. I envy you the swarms and ferals and to be free of law restrictions with beekeeping. Would someone speak here and wake up the beekeepers....
But all that are going into this direction accept the "organic" treatments.
Did you know that treating with FA and OA is seen as a tf strategy here?

But, I can´t expect you to estimate my situation and I would really like not to be forced to hide my doings except in forums.

Now back to practical beekeeping:
the bees are starving because of our weather and expel the drones from the hives. Maybe they eat the brood.I will see. :(
Civility is strength. http://www.VivaBiene.de

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:03 am

If you follow the IPM thread on the BS TF sub-forum, it's seen as a strategy by many here too.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:23 am

Nordak wrote:

If you follow the IPM thread on the BS TF sub-forum, it's seen as a strategy by many here too.

I will be forced to do IPM too, maybe, but will not use chemicals or oils. Rather cull out some brood.
I hope you forgive this strategy ;)

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:14 pm

Sibylle, I never judge another just because they follow a different path. I was just briging it up because it's essentially the same reasoning as your post. I do not care if you treat your bees. It does not make you a bad beekeeper or a lesser person for doing so. Treatment free is, in my opinion, the only way forward that makes any sense regarding long term bee health. I don't say that as a zealot, only as a statement that makes sense to me and fits with what is happening within my own apiary.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Yes I know, Jeff, thanks.

I would be glad to use hard bond. Maybe I still will be able to. I don´t want to destroy microorganism and I´m curious if nature already did the selection.
As long as I have survivors and see they are not crashing I will go on.

But I will try to prevent robbing with robber screens after splitting.

I chatted with my new mentor yesterday. He had cancer three years ago and was not able to look at his hives for two years until medications were over.

One of his colonies had a mite downfall two fingers thick on the floor. The mites covered the dead bees. Defect wing virus they had. But still, they survived ( after throwing a swarm). The queenless stayed.
By the way, they are in a TBH and all his colonies swarm. He catches the swarms if possible.

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:41 pm

SiWolKe,
So if you leave some equipment out and the bees move in will you be in violation of the law?
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:54 pm

Sold my first packages yesterday. Pretty pleased with how everything went. There are things I will do differently next year if I continue to sell them, but overall it was a learning experience and helps fund my little apiary. Good day.

lharder
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby lharder » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:27 pm

Nice going Nordak. That looks like 6 packages full of bees? is that the end of bee selling for you or do you have more planned? How did you raise your queens?

I'm just getting ready for the first round of queen rearing. I just added some empty frames in the brood nest of my boomer 3 year survivor and will be doing the same for my other amazing 2 yr survivor. Good new comb for queen cells. Funny, the windows for doing inspections have been far between, but the bees have been prolific and I have been adding boxes.

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks, lharder. Yep, those are packages bursting with bees. Next year I'll make them roomier. I think I'm done this year unless I get the odd request. Those 6 packages came from 3 hives. Had I had the queens, I could have done twice the packages pictured.

I ended up ditching my grafting attempts as the bees were more interested in building cells from the comb I inadvertently introduced with eggs twice. The interesting thing is, they'd start the grafts, but abandon them in favor of finishing the cells on comb. I took this as my cue to let them do what they wanted. I ended up getting a 2/4 return on the cells. I was too chicken to attempt to cut them out as they were all clustered together so moved whole combs to mating nucs. I started too early, and the bees knew it. A late, strong cold front pushed through the state so that pretty much threw my window of opportunity out the door on queens. Long story short, the queens are two first year and 4 second year queens.

Keep me updated on your queen rearing attempts. Always enjoy following your progress. Keep up the great work.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:27 pm

Michael Bush wrote:SiWolKe,
So if you leave some equipment out and the bees move in will you be in violation of the law?

Not exactly. I`m not allowed to use old brood comb as bait. That because of AFB.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:28 pm

Very cool, Jeff!
:D

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Today I splitted the AMM hybrids.

In one hive the queen was still laying but mostly drones and there were worker cells used as drone cells, splattered into the worker brood areas.
And : there was a supercedure cell, filled, big, but not yet capped.
I used this cell for the queenless split and gave eggs and young larvae to both splits.
Saw the queen, she will lay for a time still. Last year`s matings were a mess.

The second hive was very healthy and strong and good looking.
I did a small split with 3 brood combs mixed brood and the queen and left 5 brood combs with the queenless.
The queen looks very good. I hope she is, because she will be my new breeder queen in june with grafting or miller frames.
Flow is very good in june if the weather holds.

The food situation is getting better but I donated some honeycombs and reduced the queenless with dividers to 8 combs to invite new queen cell building.

I installed robber screens.

GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby GregV » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:22 pm

I just have to rumble - we have some terrible April days going into the second week right now.
Cold and raining and almost down to 0C some nights.
+5C and raining right now and the next 4-5 days like this in the forecast.

All the fruit bloom goes wasted for the honey bees. They are locked inside.
So typical every year up here - only few bumble bees and solitary bees are working my fruits (honey bees are next to useless as fruit pollinators up here - some people do not believe this, but fine). Dandelions started heavily but are just now closed and wet and useless.

A good thing I had a quick chance to open my nuc one day and quickly stick into a an empty frame so that they have space to build (if desired).
They are, surely, trying to grow all the while there is nothing coming in.

Contrary to a popular believe, my bees are still using dry sugar chunks (right next to the feeder jars).
I have been told to put the dry sugar away as it will NOT get used anymore.
And here you go - another myth is playing out in front my own eyes. My bees use both at once - dry and liquid sugar, because they can.
To be sure - no dry sugar crumb are dumped outside and this is not a cleanup activity. They actually are licking the sugar chunks - I did look.
:D I pet myself on the back for NOT listening to the conventional advice and just trying my own things.
Why take out dry sugar chunks if they do not hurt anything?
Dry sugar is just there and ready at the very moment where energy needs of the colony are at its highest and the timing is critical and the weather is terrible.
Note: the picture was taken at that rare warm opportunity when I was able to open them up about 1 week ago;
Attachments
20170416_125430_Small.jpg
20170416_125430_Small.jpg (300.8 KiB) Viewed 1330 times

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:49 pm

Today I splitted the AMM hybrids.

Good luck, Sibylle. Hope the splits go well.

I just have to rumble - we have some terrible April days going into the second week right now.

Looks like you're giving them what they need for now. Can't rain all the time. It'll be sunny and 70's before you know it.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:06 pm

[quote="Nordak"]

Good luck, Sibylle. Hope the splits go well.

Thanks. Nice use for my honey combs and drawn frames with this unpredictable weather.

Often the bees bring pollen but it´s much harder for them to find nectar, I believe. I saw mine bringing pollen when it was 7°C and wet.

Greg, last year I fed moist sugar as an emergency in march, too. Well, I thought it was an emergency ;) they took it in a few days.

Futter März.jpg
Futter März.jpg (108.06 KiB) Viewed 1322 times

lharder
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby lharder » Tue May 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Nordak wrote:Thanks, lharder. Yep, those are packages bursting with bees. Next year I'll make them roomier. I think I'm done this year unless I get the odd request. Those 6 packages came from 3 hives. Had I had the queens, I could have done twice the packages pictured.

I ended up ditching my grafting attempts as the bees were more interested in building cells from the comb I inadvertently introduced with eggs twice. The interesting thing is, they'd start the grafts, but abandon them in favor of finishing the cells on comb. I took this as my cue to let them do what they wanted. I ended up getting a 2/4 return on the cells. I was too chicken to attempt to cut them out as they were all clustered together so moved whole combs to mating nucs. I started too early, and the bees knew it. A late, strong cold front pushed through the state so that pretty much threw my window of opportunityI out the door on queens. Long story short, the queens are two first year and 4 second year queens.

Keep me updated on your queen rearing attempts. Always enjoy following your progress. Keep up the great work.

My initial push is emergency cells using snelgrove boards. Also part of swarm control as I have some in 6 medium boxes already with lots of brood. I put the queen in the bottom 2 boxes with empty comb, then an excluder, then 2 boxes with empty comb, comb with nectar. Then 2 boxes of brood with some food and pollen comb. I shook bees off the combs into the bottom two boxes as I examined them, until I found the queen. Once she is found, no more shaking bees. Leave them overnight to organize themsleves, then will place a snelgrove board under the top 2 brood boxes. I notched some frames with eggs, young larve as well when I examined them.

Once these cells are placed I will start trying some grafting. I have some other boomers as well that should be snelgroved as well. Have some decent weather so will be going out adding more boxes and beginning to open up brood nests. Starting to warm up and its getting to comb building season. Some overwintered nucs are in 4 or 5 boxes already. One overwintered nuc is so prolific that pretty much every single cell on both sides of one comb were solid capped brood. Wall to wall. Wish I had a camera on me.

I think you just need to tweak your approach to get your grafting under way. You going to to give it another go?

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Tue May 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Nordak wrote:
The interesting thing is, they'd start the grafts, but abandon them in favor of finishing the cells on comb.

My mentor told me today the bees prefer to raise their own young larvae to those of another queen.
What queen(s) did you use? How did you make your starter? With mixed bees and combs?

To learn about grafting and try the two different methods I will graft from my own two strongest hives into the same hive, because they have the highest density of nurse bees.
I have not much selection, having only 5 hives and two already splitted.

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Wed May 03, 2017 11:58 pm

lharder wrote:
Nordak wrote:Thanks, lharder. Yep, those are packages bursting with bees. Next year I'll make them roomier. I think I'm done this year unless I get the odd request. Those 6 packages came from 3 hives. Had I had the queens, I could have done twice the packages pictured.

I ended up ditching my grafting attempts as the bees were more interested in building cells from the comb I inadvertently introduced with eggs twice. The interesting thing is, they'd start the grafts, but abandon them in favor of finishing the cells on comb. I took this as my cue to let them do what they wanted. I ended up getting a 2/4 return on the cells. I was too chicken to attempt to cut them out as they were all clustered together so moved whole combs to mating nucs. I started too early, and the bees knew it. A late, strong cold front pushed through the state so that pretty much threw my window of opportunityI out the door on queens. Long story short, the queens are two first year and 4 second year queens.

My initial push is emergency cells using snelgrove boards. Also part of swarm control as I have some in 6 medium boxes already with lots of brood. I put the queen in the bottom 2 boxes with empty comb, then an excluder, then 2 boxes with empty comb, comb with nectar. Then 2 boxes of brood with some food and pollen comb. I shook bees off the combs into the bottom two boxes as I examined them, until I found the queen. Once she is found, no more shaking bees. Leave them overnight to organize themsleves, then will place a snelgrove board under the top 2 brood boxes. I notched some frames with eggs, young larve as well when I examined them.

Once these cells are placed I will start trying some grafting. I have some other boomers as well that should be snelgroved as well. Have some decent weather so will be going out adding more boxes and beginning to open up brood nests. Starting to warm up and its getting to comb building season. Some overwintered nucs are in 4 or 5 boxes already. One overwintered nuc is so prolific that pretty much every single cell on both sides of one comb were solid capped brood. Wall to wall. Wish I had a camera on me.

I think you just need to tweak your approach to get your grafting under way. You going to to give it another go?

You really need to get a camera. I'd like to see what's going on up there. So will you just cut out the cells when safe to do so?

As it stands now, I'm kind of strapped for equipment. All my nucs are currently holding cells, virgin queens or mated queens. The cells are a combination of swarm and emergency ones, and between these most of them are going to other people's yards. After these find their respective owners, I might go for a round of grafts for fun. I need the practice.

GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby GregV » Thu May 04, 2017 1:02 am

Nordak wrote:You really need to get a camera.

:D Like a phone in one's pocket?

Well, I myself routinely forget about that darn phone in the pocket (I still own a real camera too).
So many potential pics lost.... :?

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Thu May 04, 2017 1:20 am

Like a phone in one's pocket?

Showing my age I guess. :)

GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby GregV » Thu May 04, 2017 2:16 am

Nordak wrote:
Like a phone in one's pocket?

Showing my age I guess. :)

No worries!
I got my first smart phone about 6 months ago since my trusted Nokia flip-phone died after about 10 years.
Still don't remember about this nice picture taking feature I got in a pocket.
That age thing, maybe I need to actually intro myself one of this years. Hehe..

Dustymunky
Backyard Beekeeper

What's the Buzz in the Beeyard?

Postby Dustymunky » Thu May 04, 2017 3:03 am

Crazy weather here in Portland OR. Highs have been in 50's and lots of rain. Now 2 days of 80+ degree weather. Nuc I installed in outyard 10 days ago is bearding like crazy. Gonna throw a few shims in for ventilation till I can throw another deep on it. Hoping they don't get pissed and abscond. Temps back in 50's on Friday. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lharder
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby lharder » Thu May 04, 2017 3:28 pm

GregV wrote:
Nordak wrote:You really need to get a camera.

:D Like a phone in one's pocket?

Well, I myself routinely forget about that darn phone in the pocket (I still own a real camera too).
So many potential pics lost.... :?

I still don't have a cell phone. I drive people crazy.

lharder
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby lharder » Thu May 04, 2017 3:29 pm

Dustymunky wrote:Crazy weather here in Portland OR. Highs have been in 50's and lots of rain. Now 2 days of 80+ degree weather. Nuc I installed in outyard 10 days ago is bearding like crazy. Gonna throw a few shims in for ventilation till I can throw another deep on it. Hoping they don't get pissed and abscond. Temps back in 50's on Friday. Image

Yup, give them some room.

lharder
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby lharder » Thu May 04, 2017 3:36 pm

Nordak wrote:
lharder wrote:

You really need to get a camera. I'd like to see what's going on up there. So will you just cut out the cells when safe to do so?

As it stands now, I'm kind of strapped for equipment. All my nucs are currently holding cells, virgin queens or mated queens. The cells are a combination of swarm and emergency ones, and between these most of them are going to other people's yards. After these find their respective owners, I might go for a round of grafts for fun. I need the practice.

Yes, I am mostly foundationless so easy to cut out cells. I cut them extra big so I have extra comb to work with when wedging between top bars. I have one plastic frame with eggs, young larvae so hopefully they don't put all the queen cells on that on. I just had a probably not so good idea. The top two boxes above the snelgrove board will be absolutely full of bees and young nurse bees after the initial cells are harvested. If I don't start diverting them to the boxes below. I think I have a good cell builder in place.

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Thu May 04, 2017 4:32 pm

I just had a probably not so good idea. The top two boxes above the snelgrove board will be absolutely full of bees and young nurse bees after the initial cells are harvested. If I don't start diverting them to the boxes below. I think I have a good cell builder in place.

I've heard many folks use this technique then finish them with a QE in place. Seems like a good idea to me.

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Sat May 06, 2017 4:16 am

After all the work on packages this year, thinking that would help me stem population increase, I've got hives and nucs running out my ears. With the help of my wife who had almost captured them before I got home today, I housed a swarm that issued from my 8 frame medium. I've been meaning to work them for a while now and never got to it. She was outside and watched it happen. Put on her beesuit and went to work as she knew I wouldn't be home for a while still. I think I might have to sell some more bees at this rate. These bees won't quit.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Sat May 06, 2017 6:24 am

Nordak wrote:it. She was outside and watched it happen. Put on her beesuit and went to work as she knew I wouldn't be home for a while still. I think I might have to sell some more bees at this rate. These bees won't quit.

:lol:
Isn´t that luck?
How nice!

lharder
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby lharder » Sat May 06, 2017 2:58 pm

You have a table saw Nordak? My days are bee work one day, table saw work the next. I noticed my stash of boxes is running thin already. So how many top bar hives do you have and how many in standard equipment?

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Sat May 06, 2017 3:44 pm

Hey lharder,

Yes, I have a table saw that's good enough to get the job done. Currently I have 9 hives and 8 nucs going that I'm trying to keep weak by robbing from. I'm guessing you can see where the bottleneck is. Standard equipment would be two 8 frame langs and a long hive. I'm about to put together a 5 frame nuc to grab a couple of cells from the hive that swarmed. In this way, I'm very much my own worst enemy. I love raising queens. Eventually, you have to do something with them. I get greedy and want to keep many of them for various reasons. Many of these are going to homes already, it's just a matter of keeping the nucs at a nuc level until they are ready to go.

lharder
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby lharder » Sun May 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Well its a nice problem to have. My problem will be space. I have 3 hive positions open at my sites. I need another site.

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Sun May 07, 2017 2:32 pm

lharder wrote:Well its a nice problem to have. My problem will be space. I have 3 hive positions open at my sites. I need another site.

Sounds like you're in a similar position to me.

Dustymunky
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Dustymunky » Sun May 07, 2017 9:47 pm

Inspected my hive that was bearding. Tons of swarm cells with larva in them. Added a second deep but ive pretty much accepted the fact they will swarm. I put a swarm trap in a tree about 30yds away. Might get lucky.
Got home and all my extra equipment i have scattered around my yard had unusually high activity. Looks like scouts are checking. Pretty sure one will move in soon :)

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Mon May 08, 2017 12:46 am

If you have extra equipment why do you just move them into it before they swarm?
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

Dustymunky
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Dustymunky » Mon May 08, 2017 1:13 am

Thats a great idea moe! Maybe ill take queen and make a nuc to take to another yard. Then use a few cells in queen castle. Thx for the tip!

lharder
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby lharder » Mon May 08, 2017 3:05 am

Isn't there a procedure called a Taronov artificial swarm to get the queen and a few bees into a new box when they are likely to swarm?

Yes use those swarm cells. At least a few of them in a nuc. Good back up if you lose the swarm or if the new queen doesn't get mated properly.

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Mon May 08, 2017 3:55 am

Isn't there a procedure called a Taronov artificial swarm to get the queen and a few bees into a new box when they are likely to swarm?

Yes the Taranov swarm is wonderful..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETgWMMZr4So
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

Dustymunky
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Dustymunky » Tue May 09, 2017 11:06 pm

Swarm control split on my hive this morning. Moved queen and some brood, stores and empty frames into nuc. Zero swarm cells in nuc. At least 3 frames with QC left in old box. They are uncapped but big larva and lots of jelly in each. Rotated old hive 45 degrees and put new nuc on top. After QC are capped im going to move them to 3x3 queen castle and recombine nuc back into original hive. Thx again moe :)
IMG_2223.JPG
IMG_2223.JPG (1006.51 KiB) Viewed 1169 times

Return to “Basic Beekeeping”