First swarm trap action

Basic beekeeping, this is beekeeping after the first winter until about the third or fourth year. You are a beekeeper, but you still have a lot to learn. Talk about normal everyday beekeeping here.
Kwalt
Freshman Beekeeper

First swarm trap action

Postby Kwalt » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:25 am

One of my swarm traps is getting some activity in it. It's located in my brother in law's front yard. He said this morning there were at least 30-40 bees on the front. This is my first attempt at swarm trapping and beekeeping so I don't know what I'm looking at. I drove over to check it out a few hours later and there were a few bees going in and out. I put my ear to the box and heard some buzzing. Three of us stood and watched for 10 minutes or so and during this time watched a bee fight another bee and eventually took him off the front of the box and to the ground.

It's not a very good picture but you can see 3 in the entrance. I should have taken video. I'm sure this is common for a lot of you but it's exciting for a newbie like me.

Kevin

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: First swarm trap action

Postby Nordak » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:49 am

Oh wow! Congratulations, Kevin. That's exciting stuff. Do you have any idea if they've moved in yet or not?

Kwalt
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Kwalt » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:27 am

I really don't know if they have moved in or not. I didn't see any pollen coming in and with my ear to the box it didn't sound like a huge number of bees but I don't have any frame of reference. There was a bee acting like a guard bee in the entrance but again I have no experience to know if that's common with scouting or not. I figured I'd wait a few days or a week and see what's going on.

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:37 am

Good call on the waiting a few days. By the sound of it, and don't quote me on this, but if your brother-in-law saw 40 or so bees on the outside it's very possible he may have seen the tail end of them moving in. A near definite sign is if you see drones going in the hive. The defensive bee is most likely guarding against would-be tenants. Sounds like a great place to place the trap again if they have moved in. If they haven't moved in already, but the scouts are spending the night, there's a very good chance it will happen tomorrow or Monday I'd say weather permitting. Like you stated, pollen going in is the best sign things are definite.

Keep us updated.

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:52 am

Very exciting Kevin. I'm no expert and Nordak may be right that you saw the tail end of the swarm entering. But since there seemed to be fighting it could be rival swarms. It is my understanding that scouts from different swarms may joust of a prime spot. Either way it sounds like you either have or are about to get a swarm. Keep us updated.
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:35 am

Oh wonderful!
Luck to you, Kevin!
Civility is strength. http://www.VivaBiene.de

GregV
Hobbyist

Postby GregV » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Kwalt wrote: I figured I'd wait a few days or a week and see what's going on.

Yes; wait and don't spook them just yet. Those are just scouts. I wish I saw serious scouts at my places.

It is always best to have them moved in and starting the nest and then you are set for sure.
IF you see bees with pollen coming into your trap - you are set 99.9%.
If they moved in, you should see pollen coming in within just a 2-3 days after the move.

Imker Ingo
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Imker Ingo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:14 am

Sounds like you had scout bees from at least two different colonies wanting to move in. A friend has seen a strong swarm evict a weaker one that had moved into a bait hive earlier that day. You should see a lot of regular bee traffic if a swarm has moved in. Good luck.

GregV
Hobbyist

Postby GregV » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:50 am

Hey, by the look of your trap it looks too tall to be a Lang.
My vertical Dadant traps are pretty tall; what you have looks very similar to my dimensions.
What kind of a system do you have there?

Kwalt
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Kwalt » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:11 am

The trap is made from Dr Leo's plans. It's loaded with Langstroth mediums. It is much taller than the frames.

http://horizontalhive.com/how-to-build/ ... lans.shtml

Kevin

GregV
Hobbyist

Postby GregV » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:15 am

Kwalt wrote:The trap is made from Dr Leo's plans. It's loaded with Langstroth mediums. It is much taller than the frames.

http://horizontalhive.com/how-to-build/ ... lans.shtml

Kevin

OK; this is how I started - from Leo's; then I decided to go Dadant sizing.

Return to “Basic Beekeeping”