Treatment-Free Bee Sources

This forum is for aspiring beekeepers to ask questions and get information on how to start keeping bees. This forum is for those who have no actual beekeeping experience. This is for making plans and getting prepared for the day.
Solomon
Site Administrator

Treatment-Free Bee Sources

Postby Solomon » Tue May 26, 2015 1:35 pm

Please check out our map for sources of treatment-free bees and other resources at http://www.parkerfarms.biz/map.html.

If you know of other sources of TF bees, please post them here and I will get them added to the map.
Solomon Parker, Treatment-Free 14 years, ~24 colony baseline
Treatment-Free Beekeeping Podcast - Parkerbees.com - Treatment-Free Beekeepers Facebook Group

lharder
Hobbyist

Re: Treatment-Free Bee Sources

Postby lharder » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:53 pm

Is there a formal definition of a treatment free bee that are for sale? I'm treatment free, but until I get decent long term 2nd and 3rd winter survival of colonies, I wouldn't sell them as such.

Chuck Jachens
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Chuck Jachens » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:18 am

Solomon has a good definition in "The Rules". I would add the honesty about your practices is just as important when selling your bees. If you can sell some bees and disclose what they are, and not make promises you can not keep, then good.

lharder
Hobbyist

Postby lharder » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:27 pm

You can be treatment free but if you haven't done it a certain length of time, genetic adaptation hasn't had a chance to take place. So I can sell my bees as treatment free management, but they aren't yet locally adapted tough bees. They are just bees.

lharder
Hobbyist

Postby lharder » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:29 pm

And it would irritate me to find out that tf bees I bought weren't those locally adapted tough bees that could fend off mites and other diseases.

Solomon
Site Administrator

Postby Solomon » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:35 pm

I have called off all my sales this year. My bees just aren't doing good enough in this new climate.
Solomon Parker, Treatment-Free 14 years, ~24 colony baseline
Treatment-Free Beekeeping Podcast - Parkerbees.com - Treatment-Free Beekeepers Facebook Group

Return to “What to Expect When You're Expecting Bees”