Can the site be upgraded to use SSL?

Post suggestions on how to make this forum a better place. Request new forums to be added under the various categories.
PropolisTarp
Freshman Beekeeper

Can the site be upgraded to use SSL?

Postby PropolisTarp » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Let's Encrypt (https://letsencrypt.org/) is a free CA that this site could use to provide SSL connections to its users. Is it possible (via the forum control panel, for instance) to integrate Let's Encrypt into the site?
The greatest measure of a person's character is how they treat people who have less power, especially when no one is watching

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: Can the site be upgraded to use SSL?

Postby moebees » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:16 pm

That's up to Solomon and I don't think he checks in very often.
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

Ferdi
Freshman Beekeeper

Re: Can the site be upgraded to use SSL?

Postby Ferdi » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:52 am

Since my line of work is related to information security, entering my password into non-SSL site has always made me feel uncomfortable from day one.

However; although Let's Encrypt provides a free SSL certificate to anyone, setting it up is not a trivial task and complexity can increase depending on technology stack used to power this forum.

Also, you are not done when it has been set up once because the certificate has to be renewed every 3 months (or 6 I can't remember the exact period).

This is why I haven't brought up this topic before, because I thought Solomon would not be able to invest enough time and effort needed to maintain the SSL certificate properly.

Return to “Forum Feedback and Requests”