bloom dates

Post suggestions on how to make this forum a better place. Request new forums to be added under the various categories.
COAL REAPER
Freshman Beekeeper

bloom dates

Postby COAL REAPER » Thu May 21, 2015 11:08 am

can we put bloom dates in the 'Beekeeping Clubs, Groups, and Associations' section so it broken up by region? or something similiar if there is a better solution? not for nothin, but i think most of us are not interested in blooms on the other side of the country and it is slightly tedious to scan through all posts.
TF since 2010, successfully since 2013. Trying to increase without totally giving up honey crop.

Solomon
Site Administrator

Re: bloom dates

Postby Solomon » Thu May 21, 2015 1:26 pm

Hmm, the home page is getting very long. Let me see what I can figure out.

I just had a thought, another problem with the bloom dates by region is that even within regions, they can vary widely. I live in Colorado where blooms on the eastern border are going to be significantly different from those in the mountains.

Any suggestions?
Solomon Parker, Treatment-Free 14 years, ~24 colony baseline
Treatment-Free Beekeeping Podcast - Parkerbees.com - Treatment-Free Beekeepers Facebook Group

COAL REAPER
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby COAL REAPER » Thu May 21, 2015 2:11 pm

i know. i dont have a better answer. maybe it can be sticky at the top of the forum for each region so as not to add to the home page. my thought is just that it was already broken out into regions. even though within states it can vary, it still gets you close. from north jersey i am not concerned with your blooms in colorado, but i am for southern new jersey (and even pennsylvania and maryland) as that should be what i can expect next.
TF since 2010, successfully since 2013. Trying to increase without totally giving up honey crop.

ExpatBeekeeper
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby ExpatBeekeeper » Thu May 21, 2015 2:22 pm

I think that's probably with way to go ... I've added an example in Mid-Atlantic forum for VA ... is this what you had in mind?
Beekeeper, Meadmaker, Teaboy, and Gopher. Richmond, VA

Solomon
Site Administrator

Postby Solomon » Thu May 21, 2015 2:25 pm

I like it.
Treatment-Free Beekeeping Podcast - Parkerbees.com - Treatment-Free Beekeepers Facebook Group

COAL REAPER
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby COAL REAPER » Thu May 21, 2015 2:45 pm

yeah. idk if you need to break it down by state within each region tho. but this aint my show. mid-atlantic bloom as i whole would probably be good enough just to weed out the rest of the country. if you do each state you might not have enough interest/posts to be informative. a thread in each region like 'bloom dates -2015' was more what i was thinking and then just a quick mention of it in the header: 'Local Beekeeping Clubs, Groups, Associations, and Bloom Dates'
the general beekeeping area would be a better spot for it topic wise, but i think then its way too general or if you break it up there its too much clutter.
i will create a thread to give you an idea if this is unclear. we are starting to think about it too much, lol.

edit: here's link: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=33

COAL REAPER
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby COAL REAPER » Thu May 21, 2015 2:54 pm

you guys got it!
hopefully that doesnt end up being too specific that it gets no attention.

Solomon
Site Administrator

Postby Solomon » Thu May 21, 2015 2:55 pm

Threads are up to you, we just make the forums. We don't want too many forums as that makes the front page huge. It's already probably too big, but is going to grow as people have more suggestions. So we figured the regional beekeeping was a good idea. We will sticky the bloom thread at the top of each forum so it will always be there and be easy to find. And if the regional forums get too thick with posts, we'll break out the regions into states as needed, like with "the rest of the world." Eventually the rest of the world will have to be broken into continents, then countries, then states/provinces etc. None of it is concrete. We will make changes as necessary.

Tyson Kaiser
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Tyson Kaiser » Sat May 23, 2015 4:33 pm

Solomon wrote:Hmm, the home page is getting very long. Let me see what I can figure out?

I would suggest that the clubs by region section will take forever to get filled out as there are very few TF clubs. You may be able to compress that whole section under one "TF Clubs" banner and people can list by region/city.
TF beekeeper and professional remover in Los Angeles. :)
http://www.tysonkaiser.com PM me off list!

Return to “Forum Feedback and Requests”