when to move nucs with new virgins?

How to make queens for yourself, don't be held back by the availability from somebody who is not local to you.
COAL REAPER
Freshman Beekeeper

when to move nucs with new virgins?

Postby COAL REAPER » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:58 am

no grafting, i made hive queenless on june 3rd. plan to move cells into nucs june 12th or 13th. might rain 12th, so probably the 13th. thoughts?
i want to give virgins time to emerge and harden, but i want to move the nucs to a different area for her orientation and mating flights. my options to move them are the 17th and the 20th. which might be better?
TF since 2010, successfully since 2013. Trying to increase without totally giving up honey crop.

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: when to move nucs with new virgins?

Postby Michael Bush » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:24 pm

I would move them before they emerge. Anytime after they may be out orienting and you may lose them either because they aren't home or because they have marked home as a different location... before you moved them.
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

COAL REAPER
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby COAL REAPER » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:20 pm

nice to hear from you mr. bush, thanks.
i will likely have cells on the sides of the frames and my concern is that the frames can knock into eachother during transport and damage the cell. i suppose the same is true for an unhardened queen. i am only looking to move two nucs, so perhaps i could find ones that are on the bottom edge of the comb. some foundationless frames had eggs and just hatched larvae. hopefully next year is the year i will have ample resources for a cell builder and i can get into grafting to do this right.
as far as not being home, i will be buttoning them up before first light. dont i have 3-4 days between when they emerge and when they go on thier first flight? i am nervous for them to be slightly ahead of schedule since i didnt graft. i hope saturday is not to late to be placing the cells into nucs. i could get them moved on sunday, but not until noonish.
TF since 2010, successfully since 2013. Trying to increase without totally giving up honey crop.

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:59 pm

>dont i have 3-4 days between when they emerge and when they go on thier first flight?

Likely but not likely enough to count on it.

> i am nervous for them to be slightly ahead of schedule since i didnt graft. i hope saturday is not to late to be placing the cells into nucs. i could get them moved on sunday, but not until noonish.

I just lost a whole batch of cells on day ten after I grafted (14 days after the egg was laid) because the last two days were in the 90s and 100s and the queen emerged early. Better early than late both for putting the cells in and for moving the nucs.
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

COAL REAPER
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby COAL REAPER » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:27 am

Very well. Thank you.

COAL REAPER
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby COAL REAPER » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:28 pm

had over 20 cells amongst 6 frames. made five nucs plus left a cell in the parent hive. they been putting away lots of honey. :) the nucs I am moving have four or five cells in each. at least one should make it through transport. will do that tomorrow morning.

Return to “Queen Rearing”