Queen rearing pages

How to make queens for yourself, don't be held back by the availability from somebody who is not local to you.
Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Queen rearing pages

Postby Michael Bush » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:31 pm

"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

lharder
Hobbyist

Re: Queen rearing pages

Postby lharder » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:13 pm

I think your comments on top down breeding systems are on the mark. There are alot of proxies for what makes a good bee but it comes down to survival, honey production and workability. When a person first starts out there is only survival.

Of my 6 surviving queens from last winter, I had one supercedure (a couple daughters in nucs), and had queen issues with 2 late in fall leaving me with 3. I brought in 4 Russian queens from another apiary. I think I will start about 50% from surviving 2nd year hives and 50% from the new genetic line I brought in. The queens I started last year will have to survive their 2nd winter before I make queens from them. The overall mix will change depending on what unfolds this spring.

My overall strategy going forward will be to raise a big majority of my own queens from survivors. I will bring in some new genetics every year and raise a few queens from them the following year in hopes of increasing genetic diversity. I would really like to make some connections with a geneticist to start to track whether this strategy actually works.

Mycroft Jones
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Mycroft Jones » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:34 am

Leroy, are you in touch with Leonard Foster at UBC?

lharder
Hobbyist

Postby lharder » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:19 pm

I've heard of what he is doing, but I haven't yet contacted him.

Ralf_H
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Ralf_H » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:27 am

Hello Michael,
the information about the Ovariole development depending on initial time of egg-laying is new to me. Do you have any more information according to this topic?
Thank you very much!
Best regards
Ralf

Mycroft Jones
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Mycroft Jones » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:44 am

lharder wrote:I've heard of what he is doing, but I haven't yet contacted him.

He is friendly and approachable. When I talked with him, it sounded like the field is wide open for experimentation.

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:52 pm

>the information about the Ovariole development depending on initial time of egg-laying is new to me. Do you have any more information according to this topic?

There are at least two studies on this. I seem to have lost track of the one that pinpoints Ovariole development, but the other one strongly suggests it.

http://www.apidologie.org/index.php?opt ... /M4018.pdf

herbhome
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby herbhome » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:32 pm

Thanks for those two links, Michael. I am new to beekeeping but have watched single minded breeding ruin horses, cattle, goats, dogs and swine all my life. When breeders get a fixed idea of what trait is desirable they can often,"throw out the baby with the bathwater".

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:04 pm

>When breeders get a fixed idea of what trait is desirable they can often,"throw out the baby with the bathwater".

Dean Stiglitz (deknow on most of the forums) made the comparison to the story "The Monkey's Paw" where the paw gives you but they always backfire. It's the old "careful what you wish for" proverb in a longer story. Sometimes the WORST thing that can happen in a breeding is that you succeed at what you THINK is going to help and it turns out to be a terrible thing. I think VSH is one of those things...

Ralf_H
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Ralf_H » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:32 am

Michael Bush wrote:[...]
There are at least two studies on this. I seem to have lost track of the one that pinpoints Ovariole development, but the other one strongly suggests it.

http://www.apidologie.org/index.php?opt ... /M4018.pdf

Thank you very much Michael!
Ralf

Return to “Queen Rearing”