Cell Punch Method

How to make queens for yourself, don't be held back by the availability from somebody who is not local to you.
kalama_beek
Freshman Beekeeper

Cell Punch Method

Postby kalama_beek » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:25 pm

Has anyone tried using the cell punch method for rearing queens? I like the idea that instead of grafting and perhaps injuring the larvae, or only getting a portion of the royal jelly, that you use the whole cell to put on some sort of cell bar and place in a cell builder. Only my second year beekeeping (small scale - couple TBHs, a Warre, and a Long Lang planned for this year) but I thought I'd give it a shot. I know that in this treatment free game you just have to have more bees so you at least have the ability to select from a range of quality within the apiary.

waspkiller
Freshman Beekeeper

Re: Cell Punch Method

Postby waspkiller » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:52 pm

I have not used that method although it should work well. But I have always agreed with using a method other than grafting, so the larva is not taken out of it's pool of royal jelly.

Right now I am using the Jenter system and really like it, so easy, good for the larvae, and I get good cells. In the past I have also used the cut cell method, explained in this link
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthr ... t-Grafting
and got nice big well fed queen cells using that method. Of the 2 methods I find the jenter system is the more easy, because with the cut cell method you have to get the bees to draw some foundation, then the queen lay eggs in it, then cut it. It was designed by a commercial beekeeper but is a little complex for us small timers. But the jenter system is easy for anyone.

kalama_beek
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby kalama_beek » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:02 pm

I had looked into several of the kits (Jenter, Nicot, etc) and they looked like they'd be more difficult to use in a top bar hive scenario, but I'll bet it can be done. A friend of mine uses a kit with his Lang hives and loves it.

waspkiller
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby waspkiller » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:26 pm

Oh didn't know you were TBH, I use langs.

I'm thinking in a TBH the very simplest way could be to trim part of a comb off so that suitable young larvae are on the edge, then let a queenless hive raise them, or de-queen the existing hive temporarily.

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:22 pm

There is nothing wrong with the cell punch method except that it is time consuming. The "Better Queens' method is quicker and the "Hopkins" method even quicker.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesoldbooks.htm
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Return to “Queen Rearing”