Queen cells in queenright finisher

How to make queens for yourself, don't be held back by the availability from somebody who is not local to you.
Dustymunky
Backyard Beekeeper

Queen cells in queenright finisher

Postby Dustymunky » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:18 pm

I'm moving my queen cells to a strong queenright finisher hive. Queen is below excluder and plenty of open brood/stores up top with my cells. My question is: Why wouldn't you move the cells back to a queen less hive as soon as they are capped? Note, I wouldn't cut them out...just move the whole frame. It seems that there are some minor risks leaving them in the queenright colony after they are capped. 1. Workers tearing down cells figuring that queen is strong and cells aren't needed. 2. Hive is very strong and now has several capped cells so they may swarm with queen. 3. Queen is able to get by excluder and destroy cells(this is least of concerns). I often search web and never saw anything suggesting moving the cells right after being capped. My queen calendar says move 4 days after being capped.

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: Queen cells in queenright finisher

Postby Michael Bush » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:35 pm

You can use a queenless finisher. The only incentive not to is that with a queen the finisher won't burn out and can be used multiple times to good effect.
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Return to “Queen Rearing”