Hello From N. Ga.

Please post a new topic introducing yourself, where you are, what you do, your beekeeping experience and what you plan to do in the future.
NGACHET
Freshman Beekeeper

Hello From N. Ga.

Postby NGACHET » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:18 pm

Funny how things work out sometimes. I'm doing the intro as suggested and the top one says about the same thing I would in that I am leaving facebook and googling and found a thread that led me here and he is from N. Ga. too. I'm starting my 3rd year of beekeeping come spring and currently have 4 active hives, 3 of which are wintering now in double deep langs and the fourth in a Long Lang. Not being a carpenter, I contracted a local to build 3 but started too late to transfer the other two. While he was building those I took up the task of learning to do the building myself but there was a problem there - I changed my mind and I am now going to try to build a Layens style. We will see...and thanks for letting me in.
Last edited by NGACHET on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PropolisTarp
Freshman Beekeeper

Re: Hello From N. Ga.

Postby PropolisTarp » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:08 am

Welcome to the group! I live in Cobb County, suburbia. I hope that you will get a nice sourwood flow in the Spring where you are.
The greatest measure of a person's character is how they treat people who have less power, especially when no one is watching

NGACHET
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby NGACHET » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:20 am

I live in Whitfield and I actually have a single sourwood tree on my small piece of property but kinda doubt those are too prevalent nearby. I am clearing that area where the one tree is and have thought about planting sourwoods but not a lot of choices in places to buy them from. Thanks
Last edited by NGACHET on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:26 am

Welcome Ngachet. You can get sourwood cheap from the National Arbor Day foundation.

https://shop.arborday.org/product.aspx?zpid=921
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

NGACHET
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby NGACHET » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:57 am

I did not know that, I will check that out. Thanks

Salvatore
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Salvatore » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:14 pm

Those sourwood trees sure make some nice honey and there is a plethora throughout N.E. GA. I live in Western NC, but have spent a great deal of my college aged years in the N. GA mountains as I have family ties to the area. There are some big sourwood producers throughout that area and Western NC, as these are some of the best sourwood areas in the country. Some sourwood honey from Habersham County has even won the world honey congress for best honey in the world.

If you are seeking more sourwood trees here is another option with excellent pricing.

For trees:
https://www.wholesalenurseryco.com/sourwood-tree/

For Seedlings:
https://www.wholesalenurseryco.com/sourwood-tree-seedlings/wholesale

You may have to purchase more trees than you need from the source above. You could sell any extras to other beekeepers in your area or give them to all of your neighbors within a 2.5 mile radius. Another good thing about sourwood trees is they begin to flower very young in their life, I believe within the first 3-4 years from seedling. Some trees such as tulip poplar may take up to 15 years or more to bloom.
"Everyone must, in reality, take the greatest interest in bee-keeping, for in fact, more in human life depends on it than one usually thinks."
- Rudolf Steiner

Mark Smith
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Mark Smith » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:22 pm

Welcome to the group.

PropolisTarp
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby PropolisTarp » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:46 am

Have you ordered trees from this company before? I am amazed by the pricing and am considering coordinating a sale.
The greatest measure of a person's character is how they treat people who have less power, especially when no one is watching

NGACHET
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby NGACHET » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:15 am

i had visited that site before and could drive there in under 2 hrs but they don't seem to offer local pickup. The shipping cost is even more amazing that the cost of the trees. looks unbelievable I think I will call them.

Salvatore
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Salvatore » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:34 pm

I have not personally ordered from them, but I agree with NGACHET, that their prices and shipping are pretty reasonable as long as you order their minimum quantities.
"Everyone must, in reality, take the greatest interest in bee-keeping, for in fact, more in human life depends on it than one usually thinks."
- Rudolf Steiner

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:45 pm

Yes the prices are great but this is a wholesale place and unless you can order in quantities of 25 it doesn't do much good. For the sourwood they want $2.40 for a 2-3 ft twig if you order 25. The national arbor day foundation will sell you one for $5.98 if you become a member. I would love to have enough land to order in quantities of 25 but I don't see that happening.

NGACHET
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby NGACHET » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:24 pm

the thought occurred to me that even if you have to give some of them away or plant them on another person's property at least bees will still have the benefit of them.

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:43 am

Do what you like. I don't have money to waste.

PropolisTarp
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby PropolisTarp » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:49 pm

NGACHET wrote:the thought occurred to me that even if you have to give some of them away or plant them on another person's property at least bees will still have the benefit of them.

This is a fantastic idea, and one that I'm already planning on doing.

There is an app/website called "Nextdoor" (http://nextdoor.com) that is kind of like a "facebook for neighors". I have used it to ask people if they have seen swarms. And someone reached out to me with a swarm in their yard, and it gave me my third hive! I plan to use this site to ask people, "Would you like a free tree planted in your yard?" Any flowering tree planted within two miles of my hives could possibly benefit "my" bees, and certainly the local bees.

I mentioned the trees from the wholesale nursery at my bee club meeting last night. We are going to go forward with purchasing a bunch of trees. I know that any "excess" trees can be donated to Trees Atlanta, and they will be planted. I got a showing of hands of how many people might be interested in buying trees, and I got between 5-10 hands for each of the trees that I mentioned. So I think this plan is a go. I can forward you the "ordering" information if you're willing to drive to Atlanta to pick up the trees that you select.

"The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago. The second best time is now."

NGACHET
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby NGACHET » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:32 pm

You da man PT! I have enough room if I have time I think I will start with min order of something. I will log onto that neighbor thing an see can I get some free bees.

PropolisTarp
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby PropolisTarp » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:09 pm

NGACHET wrote:You da man PT! I have enough room if I have time I think I will start with min order of something. I will log onto that neighbor thing an see can I get some free bees.

Sadly, we decided to bail on our idea to provide a tree sale based on the trees from Wholesale Nursery. Since we are merely trying to buy trees that people can sign up for, it's imperative that we know the exact delivery date in advance. This way, we can communicate this day clearly to our members who have ordered trees, and thus they can pick up their trees and we can maximize their survival rate. The *last* thing I wanted was to deal with people not being able to pick up their tree, or to complain that their tree died because they waited a week to plant it. Wholesale Nursery is probably accustomed to dealing with clients who order 10,000 trees, not people like me who maybe want to order 50-100. They didn't answer the phone or respond to email, and expecting an exact delivery date was probably expecting way too much for the kind of client we are. So there will be no tree sale. I'm sorry if I got your hopes up, but we tried to find a way to make it work and just couldn't do it.

Return to “Introductions”