Hello from Maidens, VA USA

Please post a new topic introducing yourself, where you are, what you do, your beekeeping experience and what you plan to do in the future.
clong
Freshman Beekeeper

Hello from Maidens, VA USA

Postby clong » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:43 pm

Hello,

I got started in beekeeping due to, dare I say it, the Flowhive. I got excited by the prospect of harvesting honey without an extractor, knowing full well it wouldn't be THAT easy. My brother is a beekeeper in California, so I knew I had a ready advisor. I started beekeeping in suburbia with two hives from Ga. Package bees. They died by November of the same year.

After moving to the country, I resumed, and went into winter with 4 hives and one nuc. Only one made it into February, but I killed them off trying to move them into an 8-frame box in late January. Dumb!

Going into this winter, I combined and tried to encourage larger clusters. Started with 4 hives, now they're down to two. The survivors are both trapped swarms. One I suspect is feral. It was caught on July 3rd, and is no flyweight.

All along the journey, I have bee studying and reading everything I could get my hands on. Only recently, I discovered the Treatment Free Beekeeping podcasts. Those have really been helpful.

I am firmly committed to treatment-free beekeeping. Of late, I have been experimenting with no-top-ventilation using solid plexiglass inner-covers, and building boxes from 2x lumber for increased insulation. I hope to buy a few 10-frame poly boxes, and cut them down to 8 frame. I plan to put a swarm into three mediums, with no top ventilation, and keep it in there summer and winter, and see how it does.

Thanks Solomon Parker, for this forum, and the podcast!

I look forward to participating in this forum.

C Long
Maidens, VA

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: Hello from Maidens, VA USA

Postby Michael Bush » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:50 pm

Welcome
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

PropolisTarp
Freshman Beekeeper

Re: Hello from Maidens, VA USA

Postby PropolisTarp » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Welcome! There is nothing inherently wrong with the Flow Hive. :)
The greatest measure of a person's character is how they treat people who have less power, especially when no one is watching

Return to “Introductions”