Howdy from Western Nebraska

Please post a new topic introducing yourself, where you are, what you do, your beekeeping experience and what you plan to do in the future.
SSGNod
Freshman Beekeeper

Howdy from Western Nebraska

Postby SSGNod » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:37 pm

I'm Mike, I live in West central Nebraska. Pleasure to meet you all. Hope.to learn a lot here.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: Howdy from Western Nebraska

Postby moebees » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:22 pm

Hi Mike and welcome.

How about a little background like how long you have been beekeeping, how many hives, etc.? Allot of us like to follow each others progress. :D
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:31 am

Hello Mike,

Welcome to the forum. Michael Bush, another Nebraskan is a frequent visitor here. You might have heard of him. :)

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:13 am

Welcome, Mike!
:)
Civility is strength. http://www.VivaBiene.de

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:59 pm

When I started I was in Mitchell Nebraska in the panhandle. I'm now in Southeast Nebraska south of Omaha.
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

GregV
Hobbyist

Postby GregV » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:15 pm

Michael Bush wrote:When I started I was in Mitchell Nebraska in the panhandle. I'm now in Southeast Nebraska south of Omaha.

Who knew!
I was in Omaha a couple of times at least - drove from Kansas to see the zoo, one of the better ones (http://www.omahazoo.com/).
We drove US 75 to Nebraska City to US 34.
But that was 20 years ago or so.
I did not think back then I would get back into the bees again. Well, here I am.

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:36 pm

Yes, Omaha has a world class Zoo. I have not seen a better one. It includes a world class aquarium. I have not seen a better aquarium either. If you drive north on 75 you will pass within about five miles of my house. If you drive up 34 into Lincoln from 75 you'll pass within two miles of my house...
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

SSGNod
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby SSGNod » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:50 pm

Well, I started last year in Paxton, NE(more west-central). I bought 3 packages, one absconded because I chose a poor spot for the hive, I caught a swarm on July 4th, and subsequently overwintered 3 hives successfully (so far). I fed them when I first boxed them, I probably will again this year, for a bit anyway. I use all medium Langstroth boxes. I have about 50/50 foundation-less/plastic frames. I do use essential oils, but I may not this year. I'm still up in the air about it. There is so much info available, it's kinda like drinking from a fire hose. I'm trying to read and listen to as much as I possibly can and then use that as a basis for forming my own practices. I purchased 2 more packages this spring and with a few splits I hope to have at least 8 hives going into next winter.

I'm sure most folks on here won't consider me a TF Beekeeper since I feed and use oils, but I'm here to learn and maybe move more towards being more TF. Thanks to everyone for the welcome!

GregV
Hobbyist

Postby GregV » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:46 am

Yes, I totally recommend seeing Omaha Zoo if such an opportunity comes along (I honestly think widely advertised San Diego zoo, compared to Omaha, loses handily; I have seen both).

Speaking of feeding at the starting point - this is what I do too at this point.
I mean I have my last nuc and I really need them to survive now after making it through the entire winter.
They are looking well and are worth keeping for longer, wherever they came from.
They have been hauling pollen like crazy every opportunity they got (for S. Wisconsin).

They are a swarm that I caught in late August and was told it was not worth crap - guess what, I still have them alive and I am still in business.
I almost pulled through two late August swarms (lost one very early March - mostly due to my fault).
With that, I pretty much ignore a lot of advice (still listen to some too, obviously).

So just today I decided to feed them a little more to give them boost so that I can split them into, hopefully, three (or even four?) hives.
With that I should have a variety of at least few semi-random queens and then we'll see how they do without anymore treatments.

All in all, you need to get your initial expansion going somehow.
It may take some feeding to prevent starvation loss while you are still fragile.
Once that is done and you have some redundancy on hand - then it makes sense to let the weak bees to drop off and see what you got.

Return to “Introductions”