Is your expansion successful?

Engaging a mode of expansion is how you keep ahead of mites and breed bees that can handle them. Get in the practice of staying ahead, and avoid the bad habit of always trying to catch up.
Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: Is your expansion successful?

Postby Nordak » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Oh well, slow and steady wins the race. :)

An extremely significant statement in relation to many aspects of TF beekeeping. Explosive growth can be just as detrimental to a hive as building too slowly. Optimal is somewhere inbetween by my observations. You don't want bees that are "all in" when equating it to stakes.

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:48 pm

Wrapping has been very ingrained in traditional beekeeping circles for a long time. This goes along with the idea that insulation is not needed and some even believe detrimental. Europe and Australia have accepted insulation and it will gradually change here too because it is the sensible thing to do.
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:00 pm

lharder wrote:Probably there are a number of things that can stimulate brooding in the winter and spring. Daylength, temperature, food stores, food coming in.

i'm guessing that good frugal bees shouldn't produce brood in the winter without food coming in even if it is quite warm. Eventually they should be stimulated by a combination of day length and available food stores in early spring in anticipation of spring flows. Not by winter warmth.

2015/16 the bees were stimulated by winter warmth and no brood brake was done. I have a pict of them coming in with pollen in december and the first pollen plants were visited in January.
Had I splitted heavily this could have been my best year but I lacked experience. So the mites used the advantage.

This winter brood brake was very long, winter was 5 months and now the first pollen is used.

I´m not harvesting, except the deadouts, so they went into winter with good stores. They used almost all and I donated some from the dead. This old pollen is not used but they moved the honey to the brood areas.

I have never used pollen patties and never will. If this starts breeding and a cold spell comes.... with all the mites they have, the clusters are small in spring and should be adapted to the food supply of nature which correlates more with temperatures.
Pollen patties IMHO, are maybe good to use in an emergency with queen breeding and bad weather if no pollen combs are around.
Civility is strength. http://www.VivaBiene.de

Dustymunky
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Dustymunky » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:45 am

In a perfect world, it seems well insulated hives would best mimic bee's natural home (tree hollow). I lost my hives this winter to a week long below freezing spell. I plan on wrapping this upcoming winter with tar paper to give some free heat and wind break. Wrapping seems more practical for me and in the very wet area I live in (Oregon), I don't want to trap moisture. Interesting discussion if absorbed heat from black wrap would stimulate brood rearing. In my area, the days are short in winter and the angle of the sun is very low. I wonder how barometric pressure figures into the bees' decision to brood up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:18 am

I am very concerned about moisture too because I live near Chicago. I don't think most people know that Chicago is not only the windy city but the gloomy city.. I think we get less sunshine in the winter than Seattle. It is very damp and much colder than Portland.
Everyone is free to do what they like but tar paper is a moisture barrier that provides almost no insulation value and in a sunny area it contributes to much wider temperature fluctuations.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:37 am

Dustymunky wrote:In a perfect world, it seems well insulated hives would best mimic bee's natural home (tree hollow). I lost my hives this winter to a week long below freezing spell. I plan on wrapping this upcoming winter with tar paper to give some free heat and wind break. Wrapping seems more practical for me and in the very wet area I live in (Oregon), I don't want to trap moisture. Interesting discussion if absorbed heat from black wrap would stimulate brood rearing. In my area, the days are short in winter and the angle of the sun is very low. I wonder how barometric pressure figures into the bees' decision to brood up?

It seems to me bees freeze when isolated from stores having brood , Dusty, was this the case with yours?
I´m sorry about your loss. I had one hive which happens to freeze. The top box was full of honey they tried to go there but there were no empty cells to go in and cluster. They had strong bee number.

This is out of my correspondence with Erik Österlund in Sweden one week ago:
It’s snowing this morning. But the rest of the colonies made their after winter cleansing flight a couple of days ago.

My colonies have their winter cluster in all kind of different ways. Mostly they sit quite high up from the beginning of winter. They have some ventilation from the entrance of course, but also from the back corners of the bottom where there are a couple of 4 inch netting holes. No ventilation at the top, that is no air going through the hive with ventilation at the top.
More and more the bees are beginning closer to the bottom and moves upwards, especially when spring advances. I have had this winter some colonies sitting on three square shallow boxes (1,5 square dadant), not strong enough to actually have needed the space. They sat quite low down and left the upper box empty (full of food) not at all ”worrying” if it should be to cold having an empty box above. They have used very very little of stores and have now move more upward, to save warmth I guess now when brood rearing are starting.
Moving sideways is usually difficult if the bees aren’t many enough so they can warm up the space and move. It can be a risk to get stuck on empty frames, which also happens every year with one or a few colonies.

Our area is without much sun and very humid in winter. My young friend and co-worker in bavaria has a bee home with some 20 places inside. His survival rate is high, it´s very cold in bavaria but inside the house there is no wind and it´s dry.

It would be nice to know how the bees react with warmth at daytime. Getting warm by dark paper could mean breaking the cluster and being able to move. If this is does not pressure brood it would be a nice advantage.

Dustymunky
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Dustymunky » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:57 pm

There wasn't any brood but there were stores not far away from cluster. Too cold to move to stores for too long. Lessons learned. New bees arrive in 14 days :)

GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby GregV » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:16 pm

moebees wrote:I am very concerned about moisture too because I live near Chicago. I don't think most people know that Chicago is not only the windy city but the gloomy city.. I think we get less sunshine in the winter than Seattle. It is very damp and much colder than Portland.
Everyone is free to do what they like but tar paper is a moisture barrier that provides almost no insulation value and in a sunny area it contributes to much wider temperature fluctuations.

Let me re-post some of my own arguments in the local beekeeping group (they got scoffed at even by the most TF-prone members - fyi).
Pretty much, I am an odd-ball and somewhat on a crazy side ("that GregV" from the email listing).
So, take it or leave it - below are my "rants" as they have been called.

R-value of those wraps is approaching zero.
Not much insulation going on to speak of freezing cold nights.
Worth yet - black insulation participates negatively in creating wild daily temperature swings (in combination with thin wooden walls under wraps, with R=1).
Really warm during the sunny March day; really cold during freezing March night.
Talking even more extra stress.

I never understood the value of black plastic wraps when combined with thin wood under them.

Even those "cozy" wraps don't have much R-value in them to speak of real insulation.
Wind break? Sure.
True insulation? Maybe the add R value of 1-2 overall.
They do contribute to the internal hive temperature swings, like about now.
How this can be a good thing?
We want stability, not swings.

All in all, those wraps are a fine management tool IF you want to stimulate your bees into thinking that spring is here and now.
With the understanding of the risks and willing to feed them.
Works fine for those who want it (get our nuc production going earlier, for example). .

IMO, wrapping is counterproductive IF you want to keep locally adapted bees that react to the outside as it is now (not as wraps tell them to do).

Added: IMO - a very loosely installed windbreak wrap of light color may have a value as wind-break; this way it allows moisture to escape from under it and yet does prevent wind getting into hive holes; at the same time it does not generate wild temperature swings in late winter/early spring. But I would rather build well insulated equipment up front and do not bother with any wrapping at all.

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:32 pm

Hey GregV,

I must be an oddball too then. :D

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:50 am

Most beekeepers who have strong temperature swings are painting their boxes white to prevent this temperature changes as much as possible.

To compare with a bee tree:
The bee trees are mostly in shade in summer and without in winter because of the loss of leaves in forests.
The bees prefer leave trees to pines.
The bees prefer small entrance or propolize and close the openings like they need.
MB said they are more able to climate then, I think it´s the truth, in contrast to what people believe here.

So this is the same situation with a box painted white with small entrance. No matter what material, because of the propolis.

The only influence is the black tar paper. It emphasizes the swings and, by the way, is poisonous to the bees.

lharder
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby lharder » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Yes i think the tarpaper just gives the bees more days to shift and adjust. M. Palmer has very good success with wrapping so i don't really argue too much.

The presentation I heard about insulation with no upper entrance was a guy who lives in Smithers, BC. Zone 4b, lots of moisture compared to my area. Small lower entrance is all that is needed.

lharder
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby lharder » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:14 pm

2 of my hives at home are under a walnut tree. Winter sun and summer shade. I think they like it.

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:22 pm

My problem with most insulation is moisture. Of course insulating them is a good thing on nasty cold days, but when the moisture doesn't get out and the hive stays wet all winter, that is not good.

As far as the solar gain issue, it's not all one thing or the other. Sometimes that solar gain allows them to rearrange stores so they don't "cold starve" or it gives them a quick cleansing flight on a warm day that they might not have gotten, so it could save them. On the other hand, as has been pointed out, if there is too much solar gain too often it makes them more active than they should be for the actual climate. So it becomes more "how often" and "how much" that makes it work out well or not so well. I think we often think we are helping when we are not and this may be another instance of that.
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Ferdi
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Ferdi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:54 pm

When discussing insulation and moisture, I think we should also talk about how ideal ventilation should be in hive during winter and summer. So far I have had holes on my upper lid to provide extra ventilation during winter and I have never had a moisture problem. But I'm switching to only bottom ventilation because I believe upper ventilation slows down spring development when the temperatures are not stable or drop significantly, especial at nights.

I do not have so much observation and experience about ventilation in a hive but that is what seems right to me right now. What are you doing?

GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby GregV » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:15 pm

OK, as I said I was going to do - videos with my comments about open floor ventilation (in a more appropriate topic about "floor ventilation"):
viewtopic.php?p=4840#p4840

GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby GregV » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:20 pm

Michael Bush wrote:My problem with most insulation is moisture..

I posted near here how the insulation and moisture can coexist (and create a more natural environment, in my view).
Basically, insulated and air/vapor proof top + ventilated lower part.
Several proof of concept videos included.

Added: basically, one must always think where they want to have the dew point to be taking place.

One go-to site is "buildingscience.com" where the dynamics of moisture and air are discussed thoroughly (applies to the hives just as to the human structures).

Quoting from there:
"Moisture usually moves from warm to cold (driven by the thermal gradient) and from more to less (driven by the concentration gradient). In cold climates, moisture from the interior flows towards the exterior by passing through the building enclosure. In hot climates, moisture from the exterior flows towards the cooled interior by passing through the building enclosure."
https://buildingscience.com/documents/d ... -buildings

Here are other relevant documents for those interested (they have more):
https://buildingscience.com/documents/p ... dings/view
https://buildingscience.com/sites/defau ... iburek.pdf
Last edited by GregV on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby GregV » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:26 pm

Michael Bush wrote: Sometimes that solar gain allows them to rearrange stores so they don't "cold starve" or it gives them a quick cleansing flight on a warm day that they might not have gotten, so it could save them. On the other hand, as has been pointed out, if there is too much solar gain too often it makes them more active than they should be for the actual climate..

I thought about it and concluded - why bother.
A typical successful bee tree (or a cave) is well insulated and does not react much to "solar gain" due to both (1)insulation and (2)significant thermal mass that surrounds the colony. A typical bee tree will react to average and consistent external temperature changes, but not much to daily (or even hourly) temperature swings. These are the conditions that the bees evolved about for the last X millions of years.
With that, a good hive (for the bees) should replicate those conditions as well.

There are arguments that bees need no insulation.
Not so sure.
I feel bees can survive despite lacking insulation.
The question is - for how long?
Successful bee trees continued being occupied and re-occupied for many, many years in a row.

Indeed, a colony may get by one season on an open branch.
Here is a video of bees that wintered successfully totally exposed (Ukraine, zone 5 of USA, video taken on April 10, 2014). But that was a very well sheltered place in some dense woods and a very strong colony, as you can see. Also, they were hanging under a very heavy log meaning they do have a well insulated and air/vapor proof top while having totally ventilated sides and bottom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUJtFgweNDw

Still, I have much doubt a colony can survived on an open branch 5 years in a row in most temperate climates.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:40 pm

My feeder sits on top the whole year through and insulation is on top of the feeder.
This space takes the humidity and vaporizes it through the insulation mat.

My bottoms are closed but since some air drifts through the slits between tray and floor their is some ventilation.

One of the things that seem to work, I have had no mold or wet bees even with a small cluster.
Some condensation water is in the box which is glued into the feeder when they start to breed. I can see if they already started without opening the hive.
They use this water for making beebread.

Beesource 3.jpg
Beesource 3.jpg (85.8 KiB) Viewed 829 times

28.1.2017 AMM.jpg
28.1.2017 AMM.jpg (57.49 KiB) Viewed 829 times

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:35 pm

> What are you doing?

I do only top ventilation. Moist air rises. Year around the problem for bees is moisture. Cooling, evaporating nectar, metabolism in winter, all create moisture that has to be disposed of. I don't want a chimney effect, just an outlet for moisture. Bees will handle the rest.
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Ferdi
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Ferdi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:20 pm

@Sibylle,
My setup was similar to yours and I can still keep my stronger hives in that way.

@Michael,
Top ventilation definitely prevents moisture, but in my area it might be a set-back for nucs or relatively weak colonies. My new setup almost the same in videos shared by @GregV. I just used greenhouse plastic to cover the top of hives. I'm yet to see how it will work out for me.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:50 pm

lharder wrote:2 of my hives at home are under a walnut tree. Winter sun and summer shade. I think they like it.

I believe this a very good situation and even better with a windbreak one could build..
The acids from walnut tree leaves may be a boost to the bee´s health too, who knows. They are used in healing (humans).

This could be imitated in a small bee yard with planting. I moved one of my bee yards some 100m and now they are under fruit trees. Same situation, more shade in summer, more sun in winter and more windbreak. I will see.

@Ferdi
To boost breeding can be very dangerous in some areas where the temperatures are unpredictable in spring.
I believe with the winter situation in Michael`s locale this could be the case, too much brood too early...severe problems.

GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby GregV » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:55 pm

Ferdi wrote:Top ventilation definitely prevents moisture, but in my area it might be a set-back for nucs or relatively weak colonies...

While less important for strong colonies, for nucs every little bit if heat should be preserved for them and not allowed to escape.
For the nucs, I will for sure try the very tight and insulated tops (plastic + Styrofoam); they can ventilate through the bottom as they want and need.
Very important to have the plastic insulated as to prevent condensation over the cluster.
Some condensation along the walls/corners is fine and even beneficial - bees will use that water.

lharder
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby lharder » Fri May 05, 2017 3:41 pm

So I thought I would give a bit of an update. I haven't officially given a wintering success number

I had 20 colonies in big boxes by the end of the last season. 8 survived, though 2 are dinks and will be requeened ASAP. 2 are outstanding and have had snelgrove boards installed recently. They are the core of my breeding stock this year as they are 2+ years tf and strong. There may be some site considerations and keeper incompetence as factors in my death rate with this group. There were 3 hives that dwindled to almost nothing in the fall.

I had 41 nucs at the end of the season in a minimum of 3 5 frame nuc boxes. 27 survived and are now all in big boxes. The strongest are already in 5 medium boxes already, while the weakest are just getting going occupying not even a box. I just went through them yesterday adding boxes to those that need them. Its finally warmed up, they are accumulating some nectar so am pyramiding brood up into a top box and setting them up for comb building for this month. I discovered that I hadn't even cleaned off the bottom boards of a few hives. The number of inspection days has been so limited this spring. i have 2 hives that show a little bit of aggression. After I went through them I had a few foragers harass me for the rest of my visit.

So as usual, I have some ambitious goals this year. I plan on getting another yard which will hold 32 nucs or 16 hives. One yard is very productive so I'm going to ask the land owner if I can expand my footprint another 2 pallet positions.

But I am also going to focus on quality. I am making a number a side by side 6 frame boxes that will fit exactly under a square dadent box. The weaker hives will be moved to this system and placed with a new started colony. They will share dadant supers. If the weaker colony doesn't build to 8 frames of brood soon, it will be requeened. The overall goal is to remove most of the dinks by the end of summer. Its an experiment, but I think it will be more versatile than my 5 frame medium nuc set up.

Nate K
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Nate K » Mon May 08, 2017 10:32 am

That sounds awesome, you had some great numbers pull through. Glad you have some hives that are strong.
Unfortunately for me, my wintering was pretty terrible. I had 4 hives I thought would make it, only 1 did. Down from about 18 hives, I knew some smaller hives wouldn't make it, but this was pretty bad.

On better news, I caught 3 swarms so far. 2 were at my house, and 1 I went to get, so starting to build back up. I built a bunch of 5 frame nuc colonies to help with the expansion model this year.
What's good for the beekeeper, isn't always what's best for the bees.
http://Mylibertyhomestead.com

GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby GregV » Mon May 08, 2017 2:35 pm

Nate K wrote:I caught 3 swarms so far. 2 were at my house,.......

It is amazing to me how people catch swarms right at their houses (congrats on that).
I am yet to score one like this.
I have a baited nuc at my back porch right now; pretty close to my existing live hive (which is also a lure, in itself).
Unsure what else should I be doing to score a swarm on my back porch?

GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby GregV » Mon May 08, 2017 2:38 pm

Nate K wrote:......I knew some smaller hives wouldn't make it.....

About this:
How did you know they would not make it?
And if you did know they were doomed before hand, did you try to improve their chances in any way?

Out of my two small nucs that went into this winter, one is pretty much booming right now and will be a good split material; the other made it all way into the March and I myself was partially to blame they froze.
So - I have 50% success wintering tiny nucs so far (I think I have a formula now and hope to repeat this).

lharder
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby lharder » Mon May 08, 2017 3:00 pm

Nate K wrote:That sounds awesome, you had some great numbers pull through. Glad you have some hives that are strong.
Unfortunately for me, my wintering was pretty terrible. I had 4 hives I thought would make it, only 1 did. Down from about 18 hives, I knew some smaller hives wouldn't make it, but this was pretty bad.

On better news, I caught 3 swarms so far. 2 were at my house, and 1 I went to get, so starting to build back up. I built a bunch of 5 frame nuc colonies to help with the expansion model this year.

How is the one that survived doing? Have you sorted out some reasons for why they died? How big were the small colonies that died?

Nate K
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Nate K » Fri May 12, 2017 10:44 am

GregV wrote:
Nate K wrote:......I knew some smaller hives wouldn't make it.....

About this:
How did you know they would not make it?
And if you did know they were doomed before hand, did you try to improve their chances in any way?

Out of my two small nucs that went into this winter, one is pretty much booming right now and will be a good split material; the other made it all way into the March and I myself was partially to blame they froze.
So - I have 50% success wintering tiny nucs so far (I think I have a formula now and hope to repeat this).

Yes i did try to prop them up and help them along. The ones I was mentioning were small swarms I caught that couldn't get a queen mated. I ended up combining several, and a few did push forward but did not survive winter.

The ones that didn't make it were small, anywhere from 6 frames to 1 single stack 8 frames.

Nate K
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Nate K » Fri May 12, 2017 10:48 am

GregV wrote:
Nate K wrote:I caught 3 swarms so far. 2 were at my house,.......

It is amazing to me how people catch swarms right at their houses (congrats on that).
I am yet to score one like this.
I have a baited nuc at my back porch right now; pretty close to my existing live hive (which is also a lure, in itself).
Unsure what else should I be doing to score a swarm on my back porch?

Thanks! I always just spray the top or inside cover and landing board with swarm commander and it always seems to work out.

Nate K
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Nate K » Fri May 12, 2017 10:51 am

After working in the garage for a few days, I threw together some real nuc boxes. I really struggled last year with not having enough expansion equipment. This year I swore I wouldn't do that again. I have about 25 nuc boxes I made and have a few more to finish up.
Will post a picture of them later. All painted and ready to go, I'm ready to start splitting!

lharder
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby lharder » Fri May 12, 2017 2:03 pm

Nate K wrote:After working in the garage for a few days, I threw together some real nuc boxes. I really struggled last year with not having enough expansion equipment. This year I swore I wouldn't do that again. I have about 25 nuc boxes I made and have a few more to finish up.
Will post a picture of them later. All painted and ready to go, I'm ready to start splitting!

Yes getting equipment together is key.

Did you group your nucs together for the winter? I guess the strategy is a combination of getting them a bit bigger and giving them more protection by grouping and insulating. Keep doing that till you see success.

I'm in zone 6a. The first winter I grouped the nucs in a group of 8 and insulated with small top entrance, the 2nd winter I grouped them in 8 on a pallet and insulated as a group. The 3rd winter I grouped in pairs m. palmer style and insulated with small top entrance. I finished starting nucs by mid July, and built them up into a minimum of 3 5 frame boxes, some had 4. If I had a strong colony next to a weaker, I added extra space on the bottom of the weaker colony so it had the same height and I could insulate as a group. I gave them extra comb from extracting honey in August and started feeding to build up their stores.

This year I will be in pairs, insulate some with small top entrance and others with no top entrance. But I want the insulation to be a sleeve that I can take off, assess box weight, then put back on. My trouble with insulation was inability to assess stores properly. I would have a boomer, couldn't check food properly and add food too soon disrupting their arrangements. I discovered my feeding was more than adequate and I didn't have to meddle.

GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby GregV » Fri May 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Nate K wrote: Yes i did try to prop them up and help them along. The ones I was mentioning were small swarms I caught that couldn't get a queen mated. I ended up combining several, and a few did push forward but did not survive winter.

The ones that didn't make it were small, anywhere from 6 frames to 1 single stack 8 frames.

Since you are handy with tools and wood - consider building wintering boxes so the nucs can be inserted inside.

Per what I can now tell, you can successfully winter nuc sized at about 4-5 Lang mediums just fine.
Dry sugar for cheap insurance.
+
Insulation (clustering or wintering in a shed/wintering box or a really good hive)
---------------------------
Reasonable success.

Based on what I know now, I'd get any later swarm I can have (don't care what people say).
Late swarms work fine because we now live in era of cheap sugar (old saying about "Swarm in May, blah, blah..." no longer applies because that came from times when people did not have cheap sugar to feed bees).
Bonus - late swarm usually means a young queen.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Sat May 13, 2017 8:07 pm

GregV wrote:
Late swarms work fine because we now live in era of cheap sugar (old saying about "Swarm in May, blah, blah..." no longer applies because that came from times when people did not have cheap sugar to feed bees).
Bonus - late swarm usually means a young queen.

In my location a late swarm means what we call "disease escape swarm" means a swarm which leaves a hive crashing with mites.
This bees have many phoretic mites and if I would care for such a swarm I would overwinter it at another location until I know about the infestation not to infest my bee yard.

A late swarm has a young queen but not always a good mated one if there are not enough drones around.

Another expression here for a late swarm here is "hunger swarm". This means the colony starves in a drought and the bees swarm to find a better location.

Both kinds of swarms are not healthy swarms.

GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby GregV » Sun May 14, 2017 2:56 am

SiWolKe wrote:..Both kinds of swarms are not healthy swarms.

Well, late swarms are exactly how I got my current bees.
Today split my surviving and booming nuc that came from a swarm I caught in late August.
Was a good timing because I found at least one QC and tons of drone brood.
They would swarm in about a week if left alone.

I think any swarm deserves a chance, not matter how late.
It could totally be some best genetic line that you'd want even in your location.
You just do not know what you got until you try.
Sugar is cheap to feed them into winter (that old saying is not applicable anymore).

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Sun May 14, 2017 6:35 am

Well you have ferals so it could be a different situation.

Nobody wants a swarm with old queen or a virgin here except me. I would give them a chance, too.
Even a normal spring swarm is not appreciated.
Queens are shifted after one season here because people think they are not prolific enough after one year to be exploited for honey production.

Queens are not evaluated. Nobody breeds from his stock. They just multiply and purchase cheap queens.
Beekeepers minds are just in the same old groove.

I hope to change this with my group of co-workers. 5 of us are evaluating from now on and will breed from the best.

The older keepers here are giving up beekeeping more and more, fighting the mites in vain with high costs and much work, the younger ones or retired ones are more open minded.

GregV
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby GregV » Sun May 14, 2017 1:15 pm

SiWolKe wrote:Well you have ferals so it could be a different situation..

This is, somewhat, a myth that we have feral swarms flying left and right here.
I am not sure why this perception developed.

True ferals are no more than 5-10% of the swarms, if that.
I don't have feral bees.
No.
Vast majority of the swarms are escaped or very recent feral (say, 1-2 seasons).

The whole points here is - you take what you can (anything) and *make* them "feral".
You manage them in the way to make them as feral as possible.

Dustymunky
Backyard Beekeeper

Is your expansion successful?

Postby Dustymunky » Sun May 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing Greg. I live in the Portland metro area. You need a decent sized hollow tree cavity for feral habitat. We have a high percentage of coniferous trees here and almost every large deciduous tree I've seen cut down here was almost completely full of water. Also people dont generally leave dead trees standing. My point is that we dont really have much habitat for feral bees here, possibly the rare tree or a shed on a neglected property. I am totally thrilled to have caught a swarm but in my location its an extremely high likely hood that it swarmed out of a backyard beeks hive.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Wed May 17, 2017 5:34 am

Yesterday I spontaneously decided to do a split with my Elgon F1 because of very good weather the next weeks and still a great flow.

I scanned the area and found 2 rape fields and no migrating beekeepers around. All beekeepers here migrate to the big rape fields now and leave the area so not many of their drones are around. The first drones are eliminated here by cutting comb.
The matings and breeding will be at the mating places and home bee yards far away from me.

I did a small split with the queen and gave much food to them including two frames of nectar and house bees to start them drawing an empty frame with starter strip I installed in the middle of broodnest ( my first try on natural comb). I installed a robber screen.

The queenless part now has all the foragers, so I put a honey super on top with foundations. Bee density is high and I hope they build queen cells on more than one frame to make a split again. They have eggs and young larva on different frames.

lharder
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby lharder » Sat May 20, 2017 6:02 am

So I just had my little apiary inspected. My bees are looking pretty good according to the inspector, and I have an official permit to sell bees. We did some mite counts and they were pretty good. I had a strong overwintered nuc with 0.67 % (just added a 5th medium box) Another boomer had 2.5 so some big differences already.

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Sat May 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Sounds good, lharder. Thanks for the update.

Return to “Expansion Model Beekeeping”