Bee Activity

Dakotas, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa,
Greg H
Freshman Beekeeper

Bee Activity

Postby Greg H » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:20 pm

Doesn't seem like much is in bloom around here but I noticed that there seems to be a lot of activity in my back yard due to all the clover flowering. This is due to a combination of a large amount of clover present (inherited from previous owner) and lack of lawn mowing (my own lazy self). Anyone else seeing anything worth noting for this time of year/geographical location?

David Weldon
Freshman Beekeeper

Re: Bee Activity

Postby David Weldon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:07 am

Where are you? I'm in Point Roberts, WA and our blackberries are just about done, but; my bees are still all over what little bloom is left.
I threw around a lot of white clover seed last year and it has caught on in a big way. The bees are all over it. I guess that means I can't cut the lawn........
The lavender in our garden is now in bloom and totally covered in bees. They are all bumble bees however (hundreds of them). Last year my honey bees were all over it. I expect they will show up there once the blackberry blossoms are totally finished.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Greg H
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Greg H » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:11 pm

I am in Lincoln, NE. I did have to mow the lawn yesterday but looking around, it appears I have plenty of neighbors with clover of their own to keep the bees busy. I also noticed that there are a lot of lilies blooming right now. I'm not sure if the bees go for those or not. I used to have lavender at my previous home and the bees definitely love it. I may have to plant some more here.

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:15 pm

I'm 40 miles east of you. A lot of things blooming at the moment. White sweet clover, yellow sweet clover, white dutch clover, birdsfoot trefoil, chicory, wild roses... I don't know how long it will last...
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Greg H
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Greg H » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:49 am

So is this still considered a part of the flow or is this just things that get the bees through the summer?

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:26 pm

I'm not sure what to expect. We got all that constant rain all through May and part of June. Now the clover is all blooming and that's usually the main flow, but the bees couldn't get to it until now. Things haven't dried up yet. I'd say we are still in the main flow... but I need to find time to check my hives to decide that for sure...
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Return to “Northern Plains States”