Record Rainfall and Honey Production

Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas
Rhbush318
Freshman Beekeeper

Record Rainfall and Honey Production

Postby Rhbush318 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:11 pm

I am a second year beekeeper in NE Oklahoma. This is the wettest May I can remember with rain 5-6 days each week.

While I know that the bees forage less in the rain, is there anything to the claim that rain washes out the nectar?

Should we expect a good honey year from the additional rain or are we missing out on foraging days in the flow?

Solomon
Site Administrator

Re: Record Rainfall and Honey Production

Postby Solomon » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:11 pm

When I had record rainfall in NW Arkansas in 2011, it pretty much ruined the locust flow, which was our best flow.

If the bees aren't flying, they aren't collecting nectar and whatever nectar is available in the flowers is not getting collected, which means no honey. While certain flowers may have problems with nectar getting washed out, I wouldn't expect that it's a huge problem.

Too little rain means no nectar, too much rain means bees don't collect the nectar. In either extreme, you're not going to be getting as much honey.
Solomon Parker, Treatment-Free 14 years, ~24 colony baseline
Treatment-Free Beekeeping Podcast - Parkerbees.com - Treatment-Free Beekeepers Facebook Group

bryan4916
Freshman Beekeeper

Re: Record Rainfall and Honey Production

Postby bryan4916 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:56 pm

I had to deal with the weather in NE Oklahoma this year and had good results. Everything seems to bloom 3 to 4 weeks earlier than usual and the bees didn't seem to hit their normal spots. Autumn Olive, Lindon, and Privet were mostly ignored. I did, however, find out I had several male persimmon trees that I previously mistook as pecans. I was looking for the swarm when I walked under the first one. The flower is bell shaped and apparently holds pollen and nectar very well in pouring rain.

Several bee keepers in this area said they didn't get anything in the spring but after I question them, I found they all were feeding them. Welfare bees. What next.

Return to “Southern Plains States”