North Carolina Piedmont

Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina
Mark Smith
Freshman Beekeeper

North Carolina Piedmont

Postby Mark Smith » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:31 pm

Red maple is starting to bloom here in Locust. Starting to see some deadnettle and henbit as well.

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: North Carolina Piedmont

Postby moebees » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:49 pm

Lucky you. We won't see any blooms for another month. :(
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

Salvatore
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Salvatore » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:06 am

Mark, Thanks for the bloom notice. Hope its a good run on the maple for your bees. I'm outside of Asheville and saw the first dandelions starting to open and daffodlis are pushing up pretty good here. Met with several other beekeepers last night and heard of Witch Hazel in bloom in Fariview, NC. We may be 2-3 weeks behind you on the maples. Looking forward to the return of warmer days, fresh pollen and nectar. All the best with your season, - Joseph
"Everyone must, in reality, take the greatest interest in bee-keeping, for in fact, more in human life depends on it than one usually thinks."
- Rudolf Steiner

Mark Smith
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Mark Smith » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:52 pm

Joseph, we too have daffodils coming up. I noticed today that the pollen loads are getting bigger and more colors coming into the colonies. I too am optimistic about the Spring bloom. As of right now, the moister content in the soil is pretty good. I hope we continue to get rain. November and December were very dry. I'm about 35 miles east of Charlotte.

Mark Smith
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Mark Smith » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:56 pm

We still have a lot of red maple pollen coming in. And with the temperatures being so warm I think that swarm season will come a little early this year. Swarm cells already reported in Brunswick County down around Wilmington. Bait hives are deployed!!!

Return to “Mid-Atlantic”