Poland

Anything outside the US. Forum to be divided as needed.
Varroa Apiary
Freshman Beekeeper

Re: Poland

Postby Varroa Apiary » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks. I am saying about why I use sugar bricks on this colony and why is so simple method for help starving colony in the winter. Later I am saying my arguments for radical natural beekeepers who argue that helping to survive colony by sugar brick is unnatural and kick me of from natural beekeepers but helping colony by sugar syrup is ok and quite natural.

Disclaimer for You. In Poland feeding sugar bricks and candy board in very rare and unknown. Mainly source of feeding is sugar syrup and commercial ready invert syrup.
Last edited by Varroa Apiary on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:30 pm

I like sugar bricks too. Easy to make and place in the hive and less likely to cause robbing. I try not to feed if I don't have to but sometimes it cannot be avoided.

Thanks for the summary of what you said in the video. Maybe you will get something new (sugar bricks) started in Poland.
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

Varroa Apiary
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Varroa Apiary » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 pm

moebees wrote:I like sugar bricks too. Easy to make and place in the hive and less likely to cause robbing. I try not to feed if I don't have to but sometimes it cannot be avoided.

Thanks for the summary of what you said in the video. Maybe you will get something new (sugar bricks) started in Poland.

You welcome. Maybe. Who knows. ;) hehe

flamenco108
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby flamenco108 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:13 am

Varroa Apiary wrote:Disclaimer for You. In Poland feeding sugar bricks and candy board in very rare and unknown. Mainly source of feeding is sugar syrup and commercial ready invert syrup.

And fondant. Don't forget fondant! ;)

Varroa Apiary
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Varroa Apiary » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:47 am

Good point flamenco108. Thanks for the reminder.

pantruten
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby pantruten » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:57 pm

Varroa Apiary wrote:Later I am saying my arguments for radical natural beekeepers who argue that helping to survive colony by sugar brick is unnatural and kick me of from natural beekeepers but helping colony by sugar syrup is ok and quite natural.

well... that's not entirely true...
I mean not what VA say during the film, but about that whole context.
As I remember this discussion, nobody kicked anyone off from any beekeeper group ;) and no "radical natural beekeeper" argued like that (well, to tell the truth VA was in many ways the most "radical natural beekeeper" I've known in Poland - now he fights radicals ;) ). Nobody was saying that sugar brick is unnatural as oposed to any other way of giving sugar which would be more natural...

The context of that discussion was that one should prepere the colony for wintering during late summer and early autumn, and not desperately try to "rescue" any colony from hunger in december and early january because he/she neglected the bees in the proper time of year.

So there was some "laughs" at these bricks but not because of these bricks themselves, but because of the whole context that I've written ;)
I don't remember anyone saying that sugar-brick is worse or less natural way of saving a bee colony in winter, but the discussion was rather about what VA should had done earlier instead of "making a noise" in december and disturbing the bees in wintering (the latter was less natural ;) ). And even If there was any of that, it was because of the funny context of suddenly waking up in december and finding his bees hungry ;) (of course not hungry bees were funny, but "the awakening")

VA, Be precise when You write something to people, that don't speak Polish, please ;)

ps. I was not the part of tat discussion - I was just reading it.

And about that:

Varroa Apiary wrote:
GregV wrote:
Varroa Apiary wrote:Warsaw Usual old polish standard warmed walls hive, Warre and KTBH

What is "Warsaw Usual old polish standard warmed walls hive"?
Do you have pictures?
Is it built around the vertical Dadant frame?

frame: 275 x 240 x 435 (height) mm

I would rather translate it "Warsaw regular hive" (not "usual") as opposed to "warsaw widened hive" (or "broadened") which have it's frames widened by 6 cm. "warsaw broadened hive" has its frames like dadant but put vertically instead of horizontally.

Return to “Outside the US”