Tetradium / Bee Bee tree from seed?

Planting for bees.
Rhbush318
Freshman Beekeeper

Tetradium / Bee Bee tree from seed?

Postby Rhbush318 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:22 am

Does anyone have experience growing Tetradium or Bee Bee trees from seed?

Specifically I am trying to decide on direct sowing multiple seeds in the location where I would like one tree to grow or to start the seeds in pots and then transplant. Thank you

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: Tetradium / Bee Bee tree from seed?

Postby moebees » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:51 pm

I have no knowledge myself but there are people on Beesource that advertise seedlings or just show their seedlings from time to time. I don't recall and discussion of how they grow them but you could contact them and ask.
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

Nate K
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Nate K » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:55 am

I'm currently starting some from seeds right now. They have not come up yet, but I believe they take time.
The seeds are so cheap though, it would be worth trying!
What's good for the beekeeper, isn't always what's best for the bees.
http://Mylibertyhomestead.com

Rhbush318
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Rhbush318 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:08 am

Are you starting them in a pot? Please keep us updated on how it works out for you.

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:02 pm

Do you know what zones they will grow in?

lharder
Hobbyist

Postby lharder » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:02 pm

Some seeds require stratification or scarring before they germinate. Some require light, others darkness. Trying various methods in pots is a good idea.

Rhbush318
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Rhbush318 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:11 pm

PropolisTarp
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby PropolisTarp » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:11 pm

I am trying to start many Tetradium seeds right now. I am using egg cartons and soil from my yard. The first bunches were one seed per segment. I got many more yard volunteers than true germinations. So I started another egg carton, this one with about 15-20 seeds per segment. I have two germinations that I think might be genuine. My friend who is trying the same thing mentioned that it took weeks. He also tried refrigerating the seeds for two months. I didn't refrigerate, but I did soak some of them in water. I am hoping for the best at this point.

I also ordered tetradium plants from two different places: two 5' trees and 25 1' trees. I am going to ask on the Nextdoor app (a neighboorhood-based social media app) if anyone would like a free tree and let me plant it in their yard. The summer dearth is very bad here in Georgia zone 7b, so I am hoping to plant more Tetradium danielii and Clethra alnifolia.
The greatest measure of a person's character is how they treat people who have less power, especially when no one is watching

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Thanks for the update on your project. Sounds like you are going to have allot of trees.

PropolisTarp
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby PropolisTarp » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:40 pm

From what my friend told me today (and I am hoping he will join this forum), he has had the best success doing the following:

1. refrigerate the seeds for two months in a moist environment. The seeds that were treated in this way germinated in 5-7 days. Seeds that were not treated in this way germinated in 3-4 weeks
2. Keep the seeds covered in plastic wrap or some other kind of enclosure to keep the environment moist. He noticed that after the cover was removed, germination slowed greatly
The greatest measure of a person's character is how they treat people who have less power, especially when no one is watching

Return to “Honeybee Horticulture”