2 queen systems anyone?

Advanced beekeeping topics, the minutia and the macro, change the world and the industry.
lharder
Hobbyist

2 queen systems anyone?

Postby lharder » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:09 pm

Is anyone experimenting with 2 queen systems. One beekeeper I know of got about 300 pounds out of one. I put 2 weak (my fault) hives together this spring to see I could get them going. Once queen superceded, ending the experiment. I put it back together using one of my first nucs and the system is starting to gather steam. The configuration is now bottom entrance, brood box, brood box, brood box, excluder, super, super, excluder, brood box, brood box top entrance.

Nate K
Freshman Beekeeper

Re: 2 queen systems anyone?

Postby Nate K » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:24 pm

Leroy i like the though, I am not trying this, but have to ask; what is the advantage of a 2 queen hive VS. 2 separate hives.
We have 1 hive with double the equipment, or 2 hives with half as much equipment.

300lbs is incredible harvest. 150lb each is what a lot of commercial honey producers i know shoot for, which they say to them isn't unobtainable, but hard to reach.
So are we looking at production as the reasoning to try? I just want to explore this. I'm all for pushing what we call the "boundaries" of beekeeping so i may have to dig deeper..
What's good for the beekeeper, isn't always what's best for the bees.
http://Mylibertyhomestead.com

lharder
Hobbyist

Postby lharder » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:50 pm

I think production is the main reason to do it. The perception is that the more bees in a hive, the more honey per bee is produced. You could theoretically put 2 moderate producers together and produce 4 times the honey. There may be some management flexibility as well. Lose a queen late summer and the hive can be combined.

I don't think a lot of research has been done documenting 2 queen systems, for instance, the swarming tendencies in these systems. I haven't seen many talking about it.

augustc
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby augustc » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:33 pm

I have tried this in a horizontal tbh but like you it never got going. Would you not be better putting your two broods next to one another and make a board to go on top to take a super stack. A two to one convertor. You would need queen excluders but I am pretty sure that is a must for two queen system anyhow.

In france they do two queen warrés with two stack and queen excluders between each box level. The queen technically has the run of their whole stack that way.
Best of luck

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:28 pm

"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

lharder
Hobbyist

Postby lharder » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:12 pm

Well one of the queens slipped by a queen excluder and is in the middle supers. Moved frames of brood I found back over the excluder and hopefully she is there as well.

Return to “Advanced Beekeeping”