Rose method

Advanced beekeeping topics, the minutia and the macro, change the world and the industry.
bryan4916
Freshman Beekeeper

Rose method

Postby bryan4916 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:38 pm

In general, the rose method is adding boxes in the middle of the brood and that is assumed to be just above the bottom box.

Here is my experience and modifications to the method. Anyone else have any experience with it?

- I use all medium boxes so everything is interchangeable and standardized.

- It started out fine but the new boxes were sometimes ignored if placed next to the bottom. So, I adjusted to adding the new box when the boxes start to get light. Some of this might be from having both a top and bottom entrance.

- Once flow slowed down or it wouldn't stop raining, I realized I needed to put at least 1 drawn frame in the new box. Just about all of the methods need this I guess. One hive created swarm cells before I started adding the frame.

- There seems to be a minimum size before the method works. The 4th medium box is the point I found.

The more successful hives on this method wintered in 3 - 10 to 11 foundationless medium frame boxes with a screened bottom entrance only. The screen wasn't covered and the bees were not fed. The hive is in creek bottom protected from wind and in shade all the time. The ground was muddy all spring. The bees were from an early swarm of 2014 that requeened during the year. They had 6 boxes full of resources and bees by the end of May. I added a 7th about mid stack and the hive stopped making comb and started back filling with honey. I am running out of favors to pull in to help lift the top box off to check the hive. I am not old or weak but just can't lift the top boxes full of honey over my head like that with mud under my feet.

lharder
Hobbyist

Re: Rose method

Postby lharder » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:05 pm

With one of my hive I unintentionally created a gap with undrawn frames above the brood nest. The queen seems to have slipped past it and started laying in the upper boxes and its an unorganized mess. Tony Holmes is probably laughing at me. I'll probably shake and exclude her from the frames with a bit of brood on them and alot of honey so I can harvest them and gradually force her back down.

No matter where I put boxes, I like to put something that they are interested in (brood) that will motivate them to encorporate the box into the hive structure. If its brood, I like to put 3 in so they can deal with it efficiently. My ideas aren't really sorted out yet, but it seems adding completely empty boxes is likely to end up ignored initially.

brothermoo
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby brothermoo » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:20 pm

I use rose hives.. Adding boxes into the middle of the brood nest is done when the bees are teeming from the boxes and almost ready to swarm really.

Time Rowe advocates this method until after the longest day then you add boxes just above the brood nest (or if you can't be bothered with the lifting, in top)

It will work with just two boxes but really your bees need to be overflowing from those boxes

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

lharder
Hobbyist

Postby lharder » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:10 am

I never really let my boxes get full during spring build up. I would say about 1/2 to 1/3 of their space is empty. Don't ever let them get the idea that they are running out of space in the spring. Once again my ideas aren't set at this. My beekeeper mentor thought I should let them fill up the boxes before adding another, but he's chasing bees and I'm not. We'll see what happens next year when I'm dealing with 2nd year hives.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of adding room where the bees need it. But I prefer building some bridges with comb to help the bees see the space.

brothermoo
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby brothermoo » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:23 am

I get ya... Swarming can be delayed by opening the broodnest somewhat but it is nice to avoid so I also pyramid combs into new boxes like a lot of other guys here do.

brothermoo.WordPress.com

lharder
Hobbyist

Postby lharder » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:31 pm

I've enjoyed watching Tim Row's videos. They seem a delightful couple and his bees seem to be doing quite well. His video on constructing hives is great and he is a very practical kind of person. Lots of good ideas there.

Return to “Advanced Beekeeping”