Dead drones as a swarm indicator

Advanced beekeeping topics, the minutia and the macro, change the world and the industry.
bryan4916
Freshman Beekeeper

Dead drones as a swarm indicator

Postby bryan4916 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:38 pm

I found 2 hives with queen cells and had another swarm this year. Each one had a pile of dead drones in front of the hive. The one that swarmed had mostly drone larvae and did this a few weeks into the first honey flow but didn't swarm for another 1 1/2 months. The other two did it about 3 weeks before I saw queen cells. One had a circle nearly 2 ft in diameter and an inch thick in the middle of dead drones. It was an impressive site.

I know that some say that large amounts of drone brood can be a swarm indicator but I haven't seen anyone mention this yet. Has anyone else seen something like this?

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: Dead drones as a swarm indicator

Postby Michael Bush » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:31 pm

Large amounts of drone brood is a good indicator that it is prime swarm season. Dead drones is a good indicator that there is a sudden dearth.
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

bryan4916
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby bryan4916 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:15 am

A dearth indicator is possible too. The nectar was there but probably washed away with all the rain we had this spring.

EkiPoPo
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby EkiPoPo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:07 am

Ok a dearth sounds good. I figured it was a cold snap but I guess frozen forage would cause a dearth. Happens here in the spring.

Return to “Advanced Beekeeping”