Winter Prep

Advanced beekeeping topics, the minutia and the macro, change the world and the industry.
lharder
Hobbyist

Winter Prep

Postby lharder » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:48 pm

Hard to believe August is more than half way done. I was talking to a local beekeeper and he told me he had done his honey harvest already and has reduced his colonies to 3 medium boxes and started some mite treatment. Has the summer been slipping away and I have fallen behind the curve? We are zone 6

So I have gone ahead and took some honey off, got rid of empty frames and have the bees in 5 medium boxes with a box of honey on top. They still have some room if a flow comes on. But they are more or less organized for winter from the top box down.

Anybody have some thoughts on timing for winter prep?

lharder
Hobbyist

Re: Winter Prep

Postby lharder » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:08 pm

I have these boxes of extracted comb. I have some nucs that would appreciate some of it, but not all of it. I really don't want to store it, nor do I want to put it on top of existing hives. I think the solution will be to nadir them. The bees will clean them up and move into them if there is a strong fall flow, but it won's upset their organization of the top 4 boxes. If I'm lucky I might get some more honey out of the deal.

lharder
Hobbyist

Re: Winter Prep

Postby lharder » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:38 am

Had a look at the nucs. There wasn't that much honey on them 2 weeks ago and not much today. They have a lots of sage to forage from at present and when I did a walk about, they seemed to be foraging it hard.

However, in light of these last two inspections, I have been feeding my big hives (that are at home and convenient) hard. The strategy is to feed the strong hives, keep them occupied and keep them from robbing the few nucs I still have at home. I'm going to use them to fill up all available comb with feed, then transfer a chunk of it to the nucs. If they get something stored away in the next two weeks, and they get supplemented they just may be alright. I can see putting dry sugar on top of the nucs as well.

Return to “Advanced Beekeeping”