7 frame boxes

Advanced beekeeping topics, the minutia and the macro, change the world and the industry.
lharder
Hobbyist

7 frame boxes

Postby lharder » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:52 pm

I looked at a couple of videos on youtube by Ralph Jones about why he uses 7 frame boxes. I was most struck by his observation about how clusters will cover about 7 frames, and was one of the factors in deciding to make a bunch of 8 frame (actually 9) boxes this year. Anybody else out there use them?

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: 7 frame boxes

Postby Michael Bush » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:57 pm

>I was most struck by his observation about how clusters will cover about 7 frames, and was one of the factors in deciding to make a bunch of 8 frame (actually 9) boxes this year. Anybody else out there use them?

7 or 8? I use all eight frame boxes now. With 9 frames in them...
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

lharder
Hobbyist

Postby lharder » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:22 pm

He made his own boxes to fit 7 frames. Don't know what his frame spacing is but maybe 1 3/8 commercial frames (but foundationless with some plastic comb)

He was also implying that bees made less drone comb in these vs regular 10 frame boxes and that a 7 frame medium box had about the same comb space as a 5 frame deep nuc. I can imagine bees doing things a little differently based on space configuration vs pure space volume. But can those things be teased apart from each other in a vertical hive configuration? It would take some careful observation and note taking, and some luck in choosing useful things to measure.

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:57 am

I suppose if you made 12 1/2" boxes (11"inside) it would hold 8-1 1/4" with the standard 1" left over (that a ten frame Langstroth box has with ten standard frames in it). If you put standard 1 3/8" frames in it, the box would hold 8 frames with nothing left over. But I'd rather just use standard boxes and not have to make them. Everything is available in eight frame that is available in ten frame except a few plastic top feeders. They are not available in seven frame. Eight frame Langstroth boxes have been a standard for the last century as an half. Seven frame is an oddball size.

lharder
Hobbyist

Postby lharder » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:21 pm

Am already down the road of making all my own medium boxes out of 2 by 8's. Its very forgiving of ad hocery. I just went downstairs to check, but I can in a pinch, put an 8 frame box on top of a 10 frame and vice versa. This year I'm going to compare 10 frame vs 8 frame boxes and am deciding what parameters I want to keep track of. What would you keep track of Michael?

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:44 pm

In the end wintering success would be my main criteria. I suppose if you want to break it down more, stores left behind, I would see as a poor quality. Other than that, it's hard to measure. The bees using the frames as they build up, is probably another. If they move up to the next box while skipping the outside frames that would be a sign they have too much width...

Return to “Advanced Beekeeping”