A quote for the bees.....

Advanced beekeeping topics, the minutia and the macro, change the world and the industry.
Sunflower State Karen
Freshman Beekeeper

A quote for the bees.....

Postby Sunflower State Karen » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:22 pm

As the famous biologist E. O. Wilson said, ‘If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago. If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos.’ (quoted from a Scientific American article)
I am continually convinced that mankind is going to "improve" itself out of existence. The more I learn about beekeeping the more frustrated I become with all the tinkering going on to "save the bees" when they have been around for more than 100 million years and if we would only give them a chance perhaps they could save themselves. I understand they are up against a very different world than they were 100 million years ago but still, it gives one pause to wonder if in all our interventions we are really helping, or only making their fight to survive more difficult.

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: A quote for the bees.....

Postby Michael Bush » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:01 pm

The whole "save the bees" thing baffles me. All we really need is for the states and counties to plant bee plants in the right of ways and stop mowing them. It's cheaper to not mow them anyway. We kill all the weeds in the right of ways, the farmers kill every weed in the field. They bulldoze up all the windrows (which around here are wild plums) and the cottonwoods where the bees used to live, and then everyone wonders why the bees are in trouble...
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Sunflower State Karen
Freshman Beekeeper

Re: A quote for the bees.....

Postby Sunflower State Karen » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:19 pm

Agreed! "Save the flora" and it will give the bees a chance to save themselves.

Return to “Advanced Beekeeping”