hive hosting opportunity

Advanced beekeeping topics, the minutia and the macro, change the world and the industry.
COAL REAPER
Freshman Beekeeper

hive hosting opportunity

Postby COAL REAPER » Thu May 28, 2015 2:51 pm

i am currently in discussions about maintaining hives on a small chicken, pork, and beef farm. just interested for some input on anything i may be overlooking as i have never done this before.
place is small, 18 acres. grass fed, no hormones/steroids/anti-biotics. no chemical fertilizer or pesticides in thier fields. they also have some herbs and flowers and veggies. around the farm the first mile radius is 50% residential, 50% wooded. second mile incorporates some cultivated fields, about equal parts of all at that point. fields are probably mostly hay, but definatly some corn and soybean also.
what got me interested is that this farm was part of some honey bee study done by rutgers. rutgers rep was impressed at the number of foragers counted, more than double any other location they studied in the state. wild bees. no known beekeepers in the area. she knew enough to mention to me that they were small bees.
my idea is to put up some bait hives to try to have thier local bees doing the work. as this is my first year trying swarm traps, if i am not successful i can drop a nuc or two with virgins there and at least the daughters will be half local genetics. but really this place is only 14 miles from my home yard so i question what difference that would even make. i also frequently drive this route for 31 weeks throughout the summer to pick up a CSA farm share 9 miles further down the road (that farm does have bees and they treat). unlimited access would be granted. they layout nothing and bees and equipment are mine if/when operations cease to continue.
my idea is to eventually provide them extracted honey from thier property to sell in return for meat products. they had wanted to do it themselves in the past, but connot make the time for bees with everything else they have going on.
thoughts? what am i missing? i already know the first year is going to be a decent ammount of effort for me with no return.
thanks in advance!
TF since 2010, successfully since 2013. Trying to increase without totally giving up honey crop.

Nate K
Freshman Beekeeper

Re: hive hosting opportunity

Postby Nate K » Thu May 28, 2015 3:43 pm

Looks like you have a nice opportunity there.
Corn and soy would be one of my personal concerns(GMO).
Concerning Rutgers, did the study mention what kind of Bees? Mason bees? Orchard bees? Native bees are a more probable option.

If the bee population is that high, chances are the forage is high quality and in high quality also.
Id try to set up a couple swarm traps. What do you have to loose?

If you have extra equipment to spare, get to it! :D
What's good for the beekeeper, isn't always what's best for the bees.
http://Mylibertyhomestead.com

COAL REAPER
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby COAL REAPER » Thu May 28, 2015 3:56 pm

Nate K wrote:Concerning Rutgers, did the study mention what kind of Bees? Mason bees? Orchard bees? Native bees are a more probable option.

as it was relayed to me was wild honey bees, specifically.
TF since 2010, successfully since 2013. Trying to increase without totally giving up honey crop.

COAL REAPER
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby COAL REAPER » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:48 pm

well i got a bait hive out. there is not much for trees at the place so i just placed it on a hay wagon that will get 50% shade from the sides of the wagon. got queen cells beeing made and i should be placing a nuc or two after they emerge, hopefully before they mate. i am thinking i shouldnt move the nucs with queen cells, rather wait until the virgins are out.

Nate K
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Nate K » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:38 pm

Good luck! I hope you catch a big one! :D
What's good for the beekeeper, isn't always what's best for the bees.
http://Mylibertyhomestead.com

COAL REAPER
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby COAL REAPER » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:50 am

thought i would give an update a month later.
no swarms to be had, at any of the four locations i have bait hives positioned.
i put two nucs at the farm with queen cells on june 14. they got mated well and are laying like crazy. no capped brood yet but each had 2.5 frames railed with larvae.
on the other hand, the nucs at my home yard were a complete failure due to robbing from my full size hives, even with robber screens. gotta rethink this for next year.
Attachments
iris-1.jpg
iris-1.jpg (136.5 KiB) Viewed 920 times
0-1.jpg
0-1.jpg (141.83 KiB) Viewed 920 times

lharder
Hobbyist

Postby lharder » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:03 pm

I haven't had a problem with my big hives robbing my nucs yet... I've found a couple of out yards so will be moving the nucs out soon. I do want them in the vicinity as the genetics is about as good as it gets around here. It sounds like a nice location and getting your queens mated with local ferals is a great idea.

COAL REAPER
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby COAL REAPER » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:34 am

these colonies are making lots of bees and still drawing wax!
Attachments
IMG_1010.jpg
IMG_1010.jpg (680.32 KiB) Viewed 900 times

Return to “Advanced Beekeeping”