Robbing

Advanced beekeeping topics, the minutia and the macro, change the world and the industry.
David Weldon
Freshman Beekeeper

Robbing

Postby David Weldon » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:25 am

I had one weak hive that was clearly under some robbing pressure so I made up a robber screen using the design from Michael Bush's website. I waited until after dark to instal it so that presumably all the residents would be at home and the robbers gone. The next morning there was a lot of robbers that showed up and were totally confused and unable to get in.
My concern however is that although I did see some of the residents find their way out through the robber screen, I didn't see any bees finding their way back in. There were even bees heavy with pollen (presumably not robbers) that were caught up in the mass of confused robbers and not able to find their way back in. There were still bees trying unsuccessfully to get in as darkness fell this evening.
Does anyone have experience using one of these screens and have a knowledge of how long it should be necessary to keep it in place. It certainly seems to be working to confuse the robbers, but; I am concerned about also causing a problem for the bees that should be able to get in.

Solomon
Site Administrator

Re: Robbing

Postby Solomon » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:08 pm

You're gonna have that problem until the younger bees moving to foraging duty leave the hive and orient to the entrance. The very oldest bees will never get it. Overnight, they may figure a way to get it, but will take time to adapt.
Solomon Parker, Treatment-Free 14 years, ~24 colony baseline
Treatment-Free Beekeeping Podcast - Parkerbees.com - Treatment-Free Beekeepers Facebook Group

ExpatBeekeeper
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby ExpatBeekeeper » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:39 pm

I had a similar problem... you'll start to see, after a few days, bees standing on top of the screen near to the new entrance fanning nasinov to guide the foraging bees back to the new entrance... after a few days, the bees will be used to it.
Beekeeper, Meadmaker, Teaboy, and Gopher. Richmond, VA

David Weldon
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby David Weldon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:01 am

Thanks guys!
I'll wait it out. I'll go in this weekend when I get back down there and check to see what stores they have in case the robbing has left them short.

Return to “Advanced Beekeeping”