Mixing Kelly and ML 8 frame boxes

Discussion pertaining specifically to the hive type commonly known as "Langstroth" with Hoffman frames.
Max
Freshman Beekeeper

Mixing Kelly and ML 8 frame boxes

Postby Max » Sun May 01, 2016 3:51 am

I have 3 hives and started out with 10- 8 frame medium boxes from Mann Lake. I can see now that I am going to need more boxes soon, I would like to get some F style frames from Kelly and figured that I could get my order to the $150 free shipping threshold if I ordered boxes from Kelly also. Then I noticed that Kelly boxes are smaller than ML boxes, is that small difference anything to worry about?

Max in Las Vegas

lharder
Hobbyist

Re: Mixing Kelly and ML 8 frame boxes

Postby lharder » Sun May 01, 2016 1:19 pm

I can't really comment on the size differences. I've used different sized boxes as the first hive I made was made from 1 by material, all others 2 by. It doesn't seem to make a difference here, but its a very forgiving environment as far as weather is concerned. Not much rain or snow.

Do you have things like queen excluders, screen boards etc? Excluders are very useful for all sorts of reasons mostly related to queen rearing, even if they aren't on a hive on a regular basis. Maybe think about the experiments you would like to try soon and take this opportunity to get some other stuff.

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: Mixing Kelly and ML 8 frame boxes

Postby Michael Bush » Sun May 01, 2016 4:21 pm

Anything that doesn't leave a gap will work. But I do like them all the same size. I'd probably stick with whatever size you decide you want to usually get and that would probably depend on price + shipping and that will depend on where you live. You might find Western Bees Supply is the cheapest for where you live (they are in Montana) and they will make your mediums any size you like. Some people like to get them there and get them 13 7/8" which is half way between the two sizes that are common-- 14" and 13 3/4".
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Return to “Langstroth”