Using a Scythe to Trim Around Hives

Random regular conversations, not including politics or religion.
Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Using a Scythe to Trim Around Hives

Postby Nordak » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:04 am

So, I got tired of getting stung on occasion using the weedeater and mowing close to the hives. I have purchased a scythe blade for a reasonable price, built my own handle (snath) and am now waiting on the mounting ring for the blade and sharpening equipment. Anyone use a scythe? Any tips for a newbie? I look forward to giving it a shot when I get it put together. I figure it will be a good tool for brush work as well.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Re: Using a Scythe to Trim Around Hives

Postby SiWolKe » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:48 am

I use a scythe since childhood and have one big and one with short handle.

The short one I use around the beehives and to cut nettles, one hand holding the brush and the other working the scythe.
Pay attention to where your hands are.

This scythe I pull from outside into my direction.
This you can do with the big one too. ( the direction you pull, then the nettles don´t fall on you). Having more space you swing the big one.

What´s best is a heavy wooden handle with the big one, because then you need not much muscle power, you just swing it in an easy way.
You swing it with ground touching.
The two handles must be just right for your body to let it swing easily. Maybe you can fix the handles temporarily first and test this.
Pay attention if you are left or right handed, there are blades for both.

Be careful wearing good boots it´s dangerous if you are new to this. Very sharp blades.

To sharpen the blade you need an anvil( or something like that, a coupling device works, too), you need to hone it by hammering out the blade. This you do from one side.
You thin the edge and sharpen it with a grinding stone. You hammer back any nicks ( if you touch stones or branches).

Have a nice time.
Civility is strength. http://www.VivaBiene.de

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:31 pm

Yeah don't cut your or anyone else legs off!
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:33 pm

On a more serious note a scythe is designed for long sweeping motions to cut hay. It isn't good around obstructions or where accuracy is important. I'm not sure you will find it very efficient around hive legs.
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:37 pm

Thanks Sibylle. That's a good run down. I made my snath a one-handled style. Basically the handle on the rear is the snath itself. I can adjust as needed. Seems pretty comfortable. It looks very primitive, but I think it will get the job done. I'll be mindful of the safety issues as well.

Now I'm just waiting on a couple of parts to come in. I need to order a jig for peening the blade as you described as well.

Hey moe. This is a short "brush" style blade, not the ones designed for hay. As far as getting that nice trimmed look, as of late I've been just pulling the grass after mowing as close as I can. Works well and doesn't anger the bees.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:04 pm

Nordak wrote: I made my snath a one-handled style. Basically the handle on the rear is the snath itself. I can adjust as needed.

Hey Jeff, what a wonderful idea!
I imagine that works great. Maybe you can post a pict if you are ready to go.
Civility is strength. http://www.VivaBiene.de

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:12 pm

Once I get my mounting ring and get the blade attached, I'll post a pic. Just by looking at the blade semi-placed on the snath, the angle looks really good. I think it will be a good set up once it's all together.

Return to “Randoms”