Top Bar Nucs in Portland/Vancouver area?

Discussion about all the various types and configurations of topbar hives.
kalama_beek
Freshman Beekeeper

Top Bar Nucs in Portland/Vancouver area?

Postby kalama_beek » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:35 pm

I've been kicking around the idea of attempting to sell treatment free top bar nucs. I don't have it all worked out yet, but the thought is that I'd get dimensions of the buyer's follower board and build a plywood nuc to that size, then populate it from my treatment free survivors in the spring. Buyer picks up the nuc and keeps the woodenware. Think it would work? I've talked to only a couple of TBH'ers recently, but both of them asked to get on "my list" if/when I decide to do it. Maybe I'll run a trial with them next spring to see if it's viable and how much work it might be for the return on investment? Any other thoughts/considerations that I should take into account?

fruitveggirl
Freshman Beekeeper

Re: Top Bar Nucs in Portland/Vancouver area?

Postby fruitveggirl » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:50 pm

I've been thinking of ways to sell TBH nucs, too. I'm considering charging a refundable nuc fee because it takes time (which I don't have a lot of) to make the nuc. If they return the nuc w/i a certain number of days, they would get a refund on the nuc. If they provide me with a nuc or hive ahead of time, I would waive the fee altogether.

Another option I've considered is just making a standard nuc size that is smaller than most TBHs (e.g. 17" across top of divider board, maybe 8" deep) to ensure that the comb will fit inside the most hives (it might be smaller than a lot of hives, but it won't require any cutting). Then people could specify what size bars they want.

Good luck!
http://happyhourtopbar.blogspot.com/ -- A chronicle of my misadventures and mistakes with TBHs

kalama_beek
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby kalama_beek » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:56 pm

I originally thought the same thing with respect to smaller cavity size, but was thinking of keeping (somehow) the longer bars to ensure they'd span across the TBH when they get it home. I don't mind making the nuc boxes, but you're right - it's a good idea to give a customer a choice. Maybe they don't want to keep the box and would prefer to have some cash back instead. Best of luck to you - let me know how it all works out!

GreenBeek
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby GreenBeek » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:13 pm

It's obvious that this thread is ancient but as a newbie to the BB, it's new to me and I can't help but throw my $0.02 in :D

There's a gentleman who does this very thing in Lakeland Florida ... his website is: http://www.savebeesflorida.com and as I went there to get and copy the url, i noticed that he also has Lang nucs ... equal opportunity beeployer LOL :roll: :roll:

Return to “Topbar”