Small hive beetle larvae

You have just gotten your bees, either in the mail or you have gone and picked them up in person. Now what do you do? Covers from installation in your hive until the end of the first winter and the first blooms of spring.
Kwalt
Freshman Beekeeper

Small hive beetle larvae

Postby Kwalt » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:53 pm

I found a 1" x 3" area at the top of a frame of pollen that had been messed up by small hive beetle larvae. It was a plastic frame so I used the hive tool to scrape the messed up area off the frame along with the larvae. What should I have done?

Kevin

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: Small hive beetle larvae

Postby Nordak » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:03 am

Hey Kevin,

As far as cleaning up, sounds like you did the right thing. As afar as why it happened, what's your population like in relation to available comb? If there are too many combs in relation to population, sometimes SHB can get a foothold. Sounds like you might need to consolidate your hive so the bees can patrol the space better. If they are pretty thick on comb, I'd requeen. Some bees just aren't as cut out for hive defense as others.

Kwalt
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Kwalt » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:59 am

They seem to be pretty dense on the combs to me. There are only 8 langstroth deeps and one medium in the box. Do you have a couple of queens ready?

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:24 am

Let me check. I should have some soon, within the next couple of weeks. If your deep is over 80% drawn and full of bees, they should easily be able to defend the available space.

Return to “First Year”