Help! I need encouragement!

You have just gotten your bees, either in the mail or you have gone and picked them up in person. Now what do you do? Covers from installation in your hive until the end of the first winter and the first blooms of spring.
JGrizle
Freshman Beekeeper

Help! I need encouragement!

Postby JGrizle » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:27 am

I am in far west Kentucky and I'm surrounded by a lot of beeks who see treatment free beekeeping as an unattainable goal. It's easy to get discouraged when talking to them becàuse they are treatment fans and preach doom and gloom when mentioning small cell, top entrances, selective breeding for mite resistance, etc... Who amoung you is really making it work? I want to learn from you!

Chuck Jachens
Freshman Beekeeper

Re: Help! I need encouragement!

Postby Chuck Jachens » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:15 am

Read through the posts on the forum and listen to the podcasts that Solomon has recorded. Read as much as you can on treatment free or natural beekeeping. Treatment free is a sound practice. It has risks but different risks than those who treat with chemicals that just make the mites more resistant. Hang in there.

Ryan D
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Ryan D » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:29 am

Don't get discouraged J! I actually have the complete opposite experience. I live in Portland, Oregon and there are tons of people around doing treatment free beekeeping. For instance, the owner of the store that I bought my equipment from has been keeping bees treatment free for 7 years. I'm just starting but my bees seem to be flourishing without treatment! Keep fighting the good fight. Treatment free is the way to go!

Michael Bush
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Michael Bush » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:34 pm

back in the early part of the 2000s I was used to a lot of resistance to treatment free beekeeping. I was speaking at the New Mexico state club and they were so open to the concept. I mentioned it to someone at the break and she sounded puzzled and said "none of us treat"
"Everything works if you let it"--James "Big Boy" Medlin
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Dustymunky
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Dustymunky » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:37 pm

I definitely know what you mean. I went to a beekeeping meeting when I first got interested in the hobby. The 2hr meeting was almost all about how you MUST test and treat hives or else.
I was so discouraged when I left the meeting, I considered abandoning beekeeping before I got started. Luckily there are resources online, including this site. One YouTube video series I really enjoyed was The Bee Vlog.
It seems to me that the tide is turning against treatments. Most of the people I talk to at the local bee store aren't treating. This community of treatment free beekeepers has been a great boost for me. Thanks to all for the help!

brothermoo
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby brothermoo » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:14 pm

I reckon I am one of the only treatment free beeks in my country! Doing my intermediate certificate this past year was interesting at the classes... Some discussions with people who really never thought there was another route besides treating! Hopefully one by one we can turn the tide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “First Year”