I can't wait any longer!!!!

You have just gotten your bees, either in the mail or you have gone and picked them up in person. Now what do you do? Covers from installation in your hive until the end of the first winter and the first blooms of spring.
Max
Freshman Beekeeper

I can't wait any longer!!!!

Postby Max » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:42 am

My two hives are calling to me to open them up and take a look what's going on! My wife says that's just the voices in my head because bees speak Italian and I don't. Hive #1 is a package that I put in my hive two weeks ago, the box is an 8 frame medium that was filled with foundationless frames. Hive #2 is a package that that I put in the hive last Thursday, it is in two medium boxes with pf-120's on either side with the deep frames in the middle. Both hives are very active and hauling lots of pollen in. First off is there a time of day that I should avoid opening the hives?
A time that I should shoot for?
Second what should I be looking for?
And finally what should I expect to see in hive #1 the package?
Hive #2 the NUC?

Max
Freshman Beekeeper

What I found

Postby Max » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:00 pm

The hive inspections went very well this morning. Mental preparation seems to be the key, it may sound a bit hoky but it is a bit zen like. The hive #2 (NUC) was booming, I thought I saw the queen but not really sure. Lots of all different kinds of caps, I'm going to study the pictures this evening and educate myself as to what is what.
Hive #1 (package) is where I need some advice. Lots of drawn comb, but on a couple of frames they attached to both sides of the top rather than the starter strip. The pictures are the two sides of one frame, i believe I need to cut the comb off and rubber band it back into separate frames but how do I make sure not to hurt the queen in the process? Brush all of the bees off?

lharder
Hobbyist

Re: I can't wait any longer!!!!

Postby lharder » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:26 pm

I don't see any pictures.

Max
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Max » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:03 pm

ImageImage
Oops, here they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lharder
Hobbyist

Postby lharder » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:50 pm

From the pictures the comb looks reasonably straight. Where the comb is thicker, it looks like the cells are bigger, possibly drone. The comb will be thicker, but as long as its straight and stays in the frame I would leave it alone. You can tweak comb a bit if they flare away from the frame during inspection. As it warms up I will gradually work wonky comb to the outside of the box where it won't influence new comb production, will get filled by honey and removed. You can insert new frames between 2 straight brood combs as long as they are strong enough deal with the empty space. If they insist on wonky comb (hard to correct if they started wonky) it can be guided by plastic frames, frames with foundation, capped honey frames, good comb from other hives.

Max
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Max » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:31 am

All of these pieces were side by side on the same frame. I took one side off, kinda wedged it in the other end, then pushed the remaining piece to the center of the starter strip with my hive tool.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lharder
Hobbyist

Postby lharder » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:43 pm

I didn't see the 2 combs side by side on the same frame. You did good.

COAL REAPER
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby COAL REAPER » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:59 am

nice job fixing the comb. starting foundationless is hard if you dont have some drawn frames for them to copy.
looks like a lot of drone comb. or maybe just larger cells than what i am used to. compare the cell size to what you see in the nuc. did you happen to notice the queen in the package hive? might want to add a frame of eggs from the nuc and see what happens.
for reference, the pic where your brush is seen in the bottom right, there is a fat drone in the top left of that picture, facing 1 o'clock at the top edge of the comb.
get rid of that brush, btw. since you cant shake your frames with fresh comb, try a large bird feather to flick them off. it really pisses them off to be brushed. my first year i thought the brush was the only way to get bees off frames to harvest honey. suffered about 50 stings to the back of each hand, through gloves! wish i had video recorded that one. i looked like mickey mouse for a week and couldnt hardly move my fingers...
TF since 2010, successfully since 2013. Trying to increase without totally giving up honey crop.

Return to “First Year”