Brood box inspection Question?

You have just gotten your bees, either in the mail or you have gone and picked them up in person. Now what do you do? Covers from installation in your hive until the end of the first winter and the first blooms of spring.
jig4bass
Freshman Beekeeper

Brood box inspection Question?

Postby jig4bass » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:01 pm

Hey guys I'm new to beekeeping this year, I've got two new hives that are doing well and have filled one deep box 80% full. My question is after adding another deep box two weeks ago I inspected the hive a day ago and noticed some differences in the two hives. The first hive has moved into the top box and drawn out 3-4 frames and filled them with uncapped honey, the other hive has moved up but has 3-4 frames drawn and filled with brood. Both hives are started in the middle of the upper box, I've read that the honey in the middle of the box will keep the queen from moving up and laying, am I wrong for assuming this and do you see it as a problem or just let them be?? Any comments and help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Solomon
Site Administrator

Re: Brood box inspection Question?

Postby Solomon » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:01 am

Let 'em be, or maybe put an empty frame or two in the middle. Whatever. ;)
Solomon Parker, Treatment-Free 14 years, ~24 colony baseline
Treatment-Free Beekeeping Podcast - Parkerbees.com - Treatment-Free Beekeepers Facebook Group

jig4bass
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby jig4bass » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Thanks for your insight, that was my instinct to let them be I figured the bees were a bit smarter than me but didn't want to make a first year mistake

Solomon
Site Administrator

Postby Solomon » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:24 pm

It's not a matter of who's smarter. At this point, they know what they're doing and you are still learning. Now, please understand, I'm not insulting you here. I commend your patience. Far too often, new beekeepers will jump in and try to make their bees do what they want, and as you can guess, that isn't going to work, because they don't have a framework from which to understand those bees and what they're doing. So the best thing you can do now is watch and learn and not make too many mistakes. Doing nothing will rarely make things worse.

But if you do want to get in and work them a little, try putting one of the empty frames from the outside of the box in the center. Just one (you can do this in each box if you like). Watch what happens, and remember that for the future. It is safe to do this and it will be a good learning experience.
Solomon Parker, Treatment-Free 14 years, ~24 colony baseline
Treatment-Free Beekeeping Podcast - Parkerbees.com - Treatment-Free Beekeepers Facebook Group

Return to “First Year”