Small hive beetle?

We don't treat for pests or diseases, but we do need to identify them. We can then breed for resistance, or destroy as necessary.
Kwalt
Freshman Beekeeper

Small hive beetle?

Postby Kwalt » Fri May 19, 2017 2:34 am

A new video and a new question. I saw these making there way into both colonies. I was watching the entrance and hadn't seen any, then they just seemed to start flying in.

https://youtu.be/TUMcDBEVQKQ

Thoughts anyone?

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: Small hive beetle?

Postby Nordak » Fri May 19, 2017 3:20 am

Yep, the dreaded Small Hive Beetle. The way your bees reacted to the one is an excellent sign, though. As long as you keep your bees well populated in relation to available space, you'll be fine. They should keep them corralled and off the comb for the most part. If the population of your bees dwindles for whatever reason, at that point you should take action to get them consolidated to a more favorable space they can patrol. I haven't had to resort to the various products sold to help control SHB yet by following this plan.

Kwalt
Freshman Beekeeper

Re: Small hive beetle?

Postby Kwalt » Fri May 19, 2017 3:31 am

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll be on the lookout the next time I open them up. The colony in the video is a bit stronger than the other but both were balling them up. I did see a few make their way into the other colony.

Kevin

Return to “Identifying Pests & Diseases”