New beekeeper from the Netherlands

Please post a new topic introducing yourself, where you are, what you do, your beekeeping experience and what you plan to do in the future.
MarkDirksen
Freshman Beekeeper

New beekeeper from the Netherlands

Postby MarkDirksen » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:50 pm

Hello everyone

I have recently made the plunge into beekeeping. I started with a beginners beekeeping course in 2016. Although the course was a lot of fun I knew I could not get excited about keeping bees if I had to treat them with all sorts of chemicals. After doing some internet searching I found Solomon Parker's website and this forum. Since I thought the expansion model made sense for keeping bees I decided I was going to try a treatment free aproach. I have been learning a lot of stuff from the forum and I thought it was time to introduce myself.

I got excited during the course and bought two nucleus colonies in the fall. I got them through a beekeeper who is treatment free as well (Joost Peschier). They were fairly small but they made it through the winter with some feeding. They seem to be doing well so far. I have not yet made any splits as there were no signs of swarming, but I am planning to so later this season.

As for methods I decided it would be useful to have a uniform size frame and I have gone for a foundationless aproach. Luckily my bees have been following the guides in my frames :). I ended up going with a warre hive with frames. It seemed fairly easy to construct and I thought I might want to try top-bar in the future and this way I would already have the equipment. I also though having a quilt and the warre roof might be helpful.

I guess that's about it. If anyone has any questions please go ahead and ask!

Greetings from the Netherlands
Mark

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Re: New beekeeper from the Netherlands

Postby moebees » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a great approach and I look forward to hearing how things go for you in the future.
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:05 pm

Welcome to the forum, Mark. Looking forward to following your progress.

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Postby SiWolKe » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:14 am

Welcome, Mark :)
There is one member from the netherlands already registered, Oranjedal.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=687

I hope he posts again some time.
Sibylle
Civility is strength. http://www.VivaBiene.de

Oranjedal
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Oranjedal » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:42 pm

Welcome Mark,

Another Dutchman on the forum, very good!
I totally agree with your story. I hope you have a lot of succes.
If you have questions, just ask away.

Greetings,

Marcel

MarkDirksen
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby MarkDirksen » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:54 pm

Thx, I will try to post updates from time to time. Is there a good place on this forum for general updates (i.e. not specfic to a certain topic)?

@Oranjedal I wasn't expecting to find a lot of dutchies on the forum, but great that you're here! How do you find the state of treatment free beekeeping in the Netherlands? I haven't found a lot: "De duurzame Bij", some beekeepers on Texel and the guy where I got my bees.

Some background: "De duurzame bij" is an organization here in netherlands who try to breed for varroa resistance using black bees (they origionally got those from an island: Texel). They get to together once a year with bees they think are good stock for further breeding. I went to a get-together this winter, but decided it would be too much hassle for now to join in.

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:15 pm

Is there a good place on this forum for general updates (i.e. not specfic to a certain topic)?

Mark,

I started this thread for that very purpose. Feel free to contribute any time.
http://forum.tfbees.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=689

Oranjedal
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Oranjedal » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:37 pm

@Oranjedal I wasn't expecting to find a lot of dutchies on the forum, but great that you're here! How do you find the state of treatment free beekeeping in the Netherlands? I haven't found a lot: "De duurzame Bij", some beekeepers on Texel and the guy where I got my bees.

I find the state of TFB very poor in the Netherlands. Conventional beekeepers don't take us very seriously is my experience. But I think, change is gonna come. This last month I saw a YouTube clip of Ben de Som van Cerf, he is a beekeeper teacher, talking about small cell bees and not treating in the near future. Dee Lusby, Michael Bush seem to be the example.
In my area I know of a handfull of beekeepers that don 't treat, but all find it a bit weird that there aren't more TF beekeepers.
Recently I got two swarms of Black bees from a man who hasn't treated for more than 20 years. He lets his bees swarm once every year en hopes to catch them and then sells this swarms. I hope to get some fresh blood in my apiary and will try to get some splits of these bees in the future. I haven't treated my bees since 2015. I know of "De Duurzame Bij", but I think iTS a bit too complicated for me. Counting mites etc... Is not my way of beekeeping.

Greetings,
Marcel

MarkDirksen
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby MarkDirksen » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:52 am

@Nordak Thanks, I will post future updates in that topic.

@Orankedal I found people react fairly positive when I tell them I intend to keep bees without treatments, though I haven't convinced anyone to try it as well. I agree, "De duurzame bij" likes to makes thing fairly complicated ^^. Also, I'll try to find the youtube clip you're talking about.

Return to “Introductions”