Logbooks

You have just gotten your bees, either in the mail or you have gone and picked them up in person. Now what do you do? Covers from installation in your hive until the end of the first winter and the first blooms of spring.
Kwalt
Freshman Beekeeper

Logbooks

Postby Kwalt » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:18 pm

I was wondering if keeping hive observation logs is something that most beekeepers do? I think it might be a good idea for me. With only two colonies I find that after a couple of weeks I don't remember as well as I should have what I saw and when it was. If you do take notes, do you use a note pad and just make a few remarks or do you have an actual form you fill out?

Kevin

SiWolKe
Hobbyist

Re: Logbooks

Postby SiWolKe » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:29 pm

I had a form to fill out but realized that with 14 hives last year and now 12 hives again it´s too much work.

So I started to have a notebook ( old style) and pen with me always and a camera to take picts.

Sometimes i take no notes or just a short remark, sometimes I write a whole side about my observations. If somethings strange I make picts.

With every opening I write down:
- how many brood combs
- how many food combs
- building combs or not
- queen or eggs present
- density
- mite fighting methods if they are done by the bees, like VSH

and some remarks like:
- should be expanded
- should be controlled in so and so time
- food situation to be observed
- flow

With the notebook I can compare. I don´t like my smartphone to be propolized.
At home I keep a record on my forum for my group to study this and give comments.

While making the entries I like to reflect about what I saw.
Civility is strength. http://www.VivaBiene.de

Nordak
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby Nordak » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:18 pm

I've tried keeping a logbook in the past, but failed miserably at it. Seems I'd tell myself to remember to write everything down as I went into the house after inspections, but I'd get distracted by other things or never get around to it. I saw on a different forum, someone was using voice recording and saving the files to the computer while inspecting. I believe they were using a USB styled voice recorder worn around the neck making it hands free. I've thought about trying something similar.

Kwalt
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Kwalt » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:12 pm

I know myself, and even knowing the advantages I don't think I would keep it up. If it was right there and all I needed to do was jot a couple of notes, maybe. It would have to be so easy and convenient that I couldn't help but do it.

Kevin

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:06 pm

At this point with 8 hives I am not keeping records but you after your response to Nordak I would suggest perhaps trying the Michael Palmer duct tape method. Here is a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Qnzf-2BAU
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

Rurification
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Rurification » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:33 am

It used to be easy to keep records with 2 hives. Then 4. I'm up to 8 now and the only way I remember anything is if i've got someone with me and as soon as everything is closed up I pull out the clipboard and pen and we go over what we did so I can write everything down. Still in the bee yard, with suit and often gloves. I have to re-type it all when I get inside, but at least I know who did what and when.

I love the idea of a phone for pics, but I'm not getting propolis on my phone, so no.

I'm with Kevin - it has to be easy or I'm not changing.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Oranjedal
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby Oranjedal » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:08 am

I take pictures and make short notes while I am working. Later I use the app on the net called "mybeekeeper".

Greetings,
Marcel

h2o
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby h2o » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:25 pm

Any record keeping recommendations for TF Small scale commercial operations?

kdolan
Freshman Beekeeper

Postby kdolan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:14 am

moebees wrote:At this point with 8 hives I am not keeping records but you after your response to Nordak I would suggest perhaps trying the Michael Palmer duct tape method. Here is a video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Qnzf-2BAU

I use the duct tape on top of the hive and reveiw before opening the hive each time. Quite new so still learning but know that it needs to be simple to work for me. I try to record key events in onenote when the year is done with pics of the duct tape before it becomes unreadable.

GregV
Hobbyist

Postby GregV » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:00 am

I tried duct tape; it does not for me as the permanent marker notes on it go away too quickly.

Instead, I want start keeping kind of a "passport" for each hive just under the lid - just toss in a piece of cardboard with notes on it.
I have seen people doing it.

Otherwise, I keep a small table in Excel to keep track of the lines that I have now.
I have six distinct lines on hand.
Those need to be kept clear track of if I want to select for a better local bee.

moebees
Backyard Beekeeper

Postby moebees » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:44 am

I tried duct tape; it does not for me as the permanent marker notes on it go away too quickly

Most permanent markers are not UV resistant. Garden markers or a grease pencil will last a long time.
Sam Droege, a biologist for the U.S. Geological Survey—“bees are not optional."

GregV
Hobbyist

Postby GregV » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:14 pm

moebees wrote:
I tried duct tape; it does not for me as the permanent marker notes on it go away too quickly

Most permanent markers are not UV resistant. Garden markers or a grease pencil will last a long time.

Thanks.

Return to “First Year”